Burn out of new drum.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigr314

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
Uniontown,Pa.
I have a new 55 gallon drum. Do you still have to do a burn out or can you just season it. What about the painted outside of the drum, does that have to be repainted with high heat paint.

If it is bare steel inside then no burn out is needed just season it.

I painted mine with 1200 degree paint but I did a burn out.

I would think standard paint should hold up.

Last edited:
i just decided to paint mine with 500 degree paint. the outside really doesnt get that hot. when i did my seasoning a few days ago the lid was the hottest feeling part of the whole thing.

I have a similar question. My drum is bare steel inside but it was used as a industrial chemical container. How should I clean this out?

I have a similar question. My drum is bare steel inside but it was used as a industrial chemical container. How should I clean this out?
YES  I would watch what chemicals were in it.    Might not be safe even after the burn????

Last edited:
It was coolant for a CNC machine.' I don't know much about the chemical.... What about sandblast.

Most say that the burn out will make any barrel safe.

My barrel was unlined and used to store aluminium shaving in, which I am sure had some chemical on them.

It was coolant for a CNC machine.' I don't know much about the chemical.... What about sandblast.
Some say any good burns will remove the toxins of chemicals.. I personally looked for food grade drums and found an olive oil drum with oil still in it.. so I empied the oil and seasoned..

If you choose to use the chem barrel. . I would sandblast if thats an option for ya... and give a good burn.. or vise versus... just incase. . Its you and your fam/friends body eating whats cooked.. safer is better.. IMHO..

I have a new 55 gallon drum. Do you still have to do a burn out or can you just season it. What about the painted outside of the drum, does that have to be repainted with high heat paint.
No need to burn... just season real good... I didnt use high temp on mine.. but after some high heat cooks with chickens or burning the remaining fuel.. I have to add touch up paint.. so high heat paint would stop me from having to touch up every so often

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky