Bull rack Br6 - worth it?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Zalick

Original poster
Apr 5, 2020
Portland
I'm thinking about getting a bull rack BR6 for my GMG DB. I'd primarily use it for cold smoking salmon. I smoke about 100lbs per year. My concern is that with the racks that close together and loaded with salmon the interior racks would get much smoke.

I've searched the forums and don't see much/any discussion on these racks.

Can anyone with first hand experience let me know if they work well?

It would be great to smoke 6 racks at a time instead of my current two.

Thanks!

I am not familiar with that product, but if your cold smoking salmon for lox, then light smoke is much better than heavy smoke flavor, I smoke mine in my Lang with an /Amazon tube in the firebox & the salmon on the top grate. Between 3-4 hours is perfect for our taste.
Al

I am not familiar with that product, but if your cold smoking salmon for lox, then light smoke is much better than heavy smoke flavor, I smoke mine in my Lang with an /Amazon tube in the firebox & the salmon on the top grate. Between 3-4 hours is perfect for our taste.
Al
Thanks Al. I don't slice up the salmon on bagels. Generally just some the filet and eat it as-is. I usually hot smoke but want to start cold smoking.

The trays have about an inch or so between. The trays are mesh like.

Do you think enough smoke would go around the middle trays?

Thanks Al. I don't slice up the salmon on bagels. Generally just some the filet and eat it as-is. I usually hot smoke but want to start cold smoking.

The trays have about an inch or so between. The trays are mesh like.

Do you think enough smoke would go around the middle trays?

If there is only an inch between the racks & the filets are close to an inch thick, then no the middle racks will not get enough smoke. I think you would be better of just doing multiple batches on the 2 racks you use now, or you may want to make some racks that are about 3” apart. They are pretty easy to make. All you need is some drying racks. 4 threaded rods & some nuts & washers.
Al

Reactions: Zalick
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky