Building an Adjustable Campfire Grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

potatoc

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
Durham, NC
Camping season is only weeks away. I want to weld up a adjustable campfire grill(pretty much a grate on a stick over the fire)

Here is what one looks like: http://www.adjustagrill.com/front.jpg

Nothing like cooking over a large bed of campfire coals. Anyone every built one, own one, pros, cons, tips, etc....???? Thanks for any info.....

I agree nothing like cooking over an open camp fire..........I have seen grates like that, they are nice. I have also seen ones with legs that fold down, kinda like a breakfast tray.......... Best of luck with your project........

Great idea. The only con that I could fore see would be you would have to take a hammer with and pound the main post into the ground. Some areas the ground may be sandy and may not hold.
Maybe, make it with 4 posts (to sit on the ground) with a large enough spread to go around a firepit.
But just a thought.
Andy.

how about this, make it just the pic shows, just add 2 removeable posts (the three posts would create a triangle) just in case of sandy conditions. I wouldn't want to see any loose there great q into the dirt or fire.
Just a thought.
Andy.

I bilt 1 simmilar years ago, they work great. i made a sleeve with a cap/slug welded on 1 end to keep from swelling the rod end

Google Unique cooking systems, A buddy of mine was always telling me how great his was so I got him to lend it to me so I copied it, It is great. Have had it for about 5 years now and love it. Fully adjustable for infinite height no Fasteners to adjust. Gravity keeps it locked for you and the best part is you can sit in a lawn chair, have a beer and use your foot to push on the side of it and bring the food to you for turning with out even getting up.

Potato,
My cousin has something similar but I think his has a double tube so that you can adjust the height and rotate the grill from over the fire. I have used it and the rotating feature is real handy. I like the basic design though.

You got me thinking----How about a reverse flow campfire smoker. Think people would buy em?

Only problem is all the crap(trash & plastic) people in there fire pits

I dont think people would buy em Steve. A lot people campin' are more concerned with beer flow. Or maybey the "naturalist" who doesent eat meat. From what Ive seen anyway

Also....... Once built, what does one put on the metal to keep it from rusting and not contaminating food??????????? Thanks

Vegtable Oil? After each cook? I plan on welding my own one up out of 5/16" round stock and want to seal it up for the food.

This is a first because the parts will be out in the elements, but i would season all the parts several times in an oven or a large smoker if they are too big for the oven, then put them away in a dry place after each use. Probably keeping them oiled as necessary and re-seasoning after each camping season is over.

I use canola because thats what I deep fry with, but I am sure others will have suggestions on seasoning oils:-)

Sounds like a fun project, I might even make one myself, post you pics!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky