Building a sub sandwich .

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Wife has a few of hacks like this from working in the cafeteria at school but not seen this one. Will try for sure. Alton Brown is totally responsible for creating the foodie monster I am. Didn't catch this episode tho.

Reactions: chopsaw
First , Dukes rules the condiment world! Congrats on your conversion haha, Second that wrapping is master class for subs.

I did this awhile ago , but never did post it . After seeing the sub sandwich thread I figured I'd put it out there .
This is more about the finish of the sandwich than it is about the sandwich itself . I got this from an episode of Good Eats / Alton Brown .
Wrapping in plastic after the sandwich is made .
Bread can be what ever . This was home made .
View attachment 654205
Rip in 2
View attachment 654206
Scoop out some of the middle .
View attachment 654208
Stack the meats . Your choice .
View attachment 654209
View attachment 654210
View attachment 654211
cheese , then repeat .
View attachment 654212
View attachment 654213
View attachment 654214
Lettuce , tomato and some Zia's dressing .
View attachment 654216
View attachment 654217
Mayo goes on both halves of the bread so it helps repel water and the bread doesn't get soggy .
I like black pepper on the mayo .
View attachment 654218
Close it up .
View attachment 654219
OK this is the part I wanted to show . This really makes a difference in the sandwich .
Layout a piece of plastic wrap . Put the sandwich on it so you have enough on one end to
fold over the top .
View attachment 654220
I'm right handed , so I grab the far end of the plastic with my left hand and hold it tight .
I grab the sandwich with my right hand , pull it tight and roll .
View attachment 654221
Keep doing this until it's all rolled up . I do mine pretty tight .

View attachment 654222
1 Pound of stuff on this one .
View attachment 654223

Let it sit at least a couple hours . I like to do overnight . The longer the better .
Then slice with the wrap in place .
View attachment 654224
This is a must do in my opinion . Really changes the whole thing .
View attachment 654225

I've been wrapping with parchment paper and foil, but on the next one I'm going to try cling wrap. Thanks for the tip.

Wife has a few of hacks like this from working in the cafeteria at school but not seen this one. Will try for sure. Alton Brown is totally responsible for creating the foodie monster I am. Didn't catch this episode tho.
I'll see if I can find the season and the episode .
First , Dukes rules the condiment world! Congrats on your conversion haha, Second that wrapping is master class for subs.
:emoji_thumbsup:
Great looking sammich and cool idea. But how did you let it sit in the fridge overnight? It would be calling my name continuously!
You have to eat first , then make the sandwiches . Lol . Couple hours works too .

I've been wrapping with parchment paper and foil, but on the next one I'm going to try cling wrap. Thanks for the tip.
This allows you to really cinch it down . The plastic wrap holds to itself . I saw you posted about wrapping , so you know the results . Try this and see what you think .

Reactions: FreshGround
Great looking sammich and cool idea. But how did you let it sit in the fridge overnight? It would be calling my name continuously!

Jim
Or one or all of my boys would be grazing on it continuously! Great looking sandwich and thanks for the pointer!

Thats a top shelf samich chop very nice work! I still need to make my bread knife like that, I have the blades now, just need to find some shop time!

Great looking sub Rich and love the idea of have car ( truck ) food for later, :emoji_sunglasses:

When we are doing up a sub sandwich supper, Mona has always wrapped hers in cling wrap and in the nuker for 20 seconds +/-.
I always though she was just wasting time as mine was always half gone by then.
Now I have to tell her she is ahead of the game and smarter than me.... well she always says that

I do like to wrap in foil and throw into the toaster oven once in a while, but most times I like mine cold and not toasted

Great looking sandwich and thanks for the pointer!
Thanks .
We watch it on Discovery+, not sure where else it is available
I have Discovery + .
Thats a top shelf samich chop very nice work! I still need to make my bread knife like that, I have the blades now, just need to find some shop time!
Thanks . I bought another set of blades awhile back . I need to put a couple together . I've got a bunch of stuff just sitting down there collection dust .
Great looking sub Rich and love the idea of have car ( truck ) food for later
Yup . I do them for the fridge too . Eat off of it while I'm working around the house .
Excellent looking sandwich Rich. Nice Job
Thanks Chris . Made another one yesterday .
Loaded 'er up .
20230112_101228.jpg
Wrapped tight for an overnight .
20230112_101445.jpg
They come out so good .
20230112_121422.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky