Building a Mini Weber Smokey Mountain in Texas (Mini WSM)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bdskelly

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 3, 2013
DFW North Texas
I've started my build this evening while waiting on a brisket to cook on my MES.  I thought I'd post QViews of what I have done so far. I'll be sure to show the completion of my unit. Special thanks goes out to all the folks on this site for the assistance and motivation to start this little project. 

With the advise of others I chose the Smokey Joe Gold unit and the Vasconia steamer pot. Stainless hardware, thermometer and expanded steel sheet was all bought at the local big box home improvement  store.  I'll be more specific about the hardware as I go though my build process. 

The first thing was to build the charcoal hopper. This is done by using expanded wire and cutting it to the 3" height. Wrap the Exp wire around the charcoal grate supplied with the Smoke Joe. I used rebar twist wire to hold it in place.  ….Which would have been fine and held well.  But my brother in-law has a welder close by so I asked him to spot weld the wire in place.

Some folks are attaching the lid of the Vasconia pot to the base. It fits perfectly on the lower half of the Smokey Joe.  Doing this raises the pot about and inch higher and that will allow 2 things.

1 gives you a bit more room for charcoal in the lower half of Smokey Joe

2 gives you more area inside the pot to add another grate level if you would like.  

Some folks drill holes in the bottom of the pot and other simply cut the bottom out leaving about a 2" lip all the way around.  I'm going to cut mine out.

To only cut once I temporally pop riveted the lid to the bottom of the pot and drew my cutting circle. 

Turn the 12" terra-cotta saucer upside down and us it as the template for your hole. Draw you cutting line with a pencil or sharpie.

After the bottom and lid are cut out I pop riveted the lid to the pots bottom lip.

i've read that sometimes the terra-cotta saucers ( used as a heat defuser) might crack if the base is not supported evenly. Because I want more room in my smoker I wanted to lower the terra-cotta defuser as much a I could.  I didn't like the idea of bolts holding up the defuser.  I wanted something a bit more solid. 

I bought a charcoal grate for a weber 18" kettle part #7440 (About $8) and cut the ends off so it would pass through the pots steamer plate ridge.  You will want to cut the grate at the second cross bar as below.  This creates a super strong and sturdy base for the smoker chamber. 

The grate sits inside on the bottom lip of the pots bottom. A lot easier than drilling holes. Fast and simple. 

Bottom grate in place with terra-cotta defuser in place.

With the grate in place and the terra-cotta defuser in this lower position there is now plenty of clearance in the pot for multiple levels of grates or grate adjustment.

As you can see with the terra-cotta defuser all the way to the base of the pot the steamer plate ridge inside the pot will have good clearance for the lowest grate level.  

I'll be back later to show installation of the thermometer,  upper grates and probe access bushing. 

Brian

Last edited:
Reactions: welshrarebit
Looks great Brian! You'll be smoking in no time.

Just a FYI for others reading you only need to cut one side off the grate to get it to fit past the steamer insert rim.

Looking good there Brian! You're not even finished with the build and already I'm looking forward to the maiden smoke!

Looking good there Brian! You're not even finished with the build and already I'm looking forward to the maiden smoke!
Thanks Dutch.  I appreciate everyones guidance.  With some luck I'll be smoking with it this weekend. After seasoning he smoker it I think a batch of scarbelly wings are in order for the cristening. 

b

I am watching. I have the pot and the Joe is on the way.

For me... An old 12" cast iron skillet (minus the handle) works better than the terra-cotta.. holds heat a lot better... and won't break from the heat...

Great build thread.  Great idea about attaching the lid so you only have to cut once.  I imagine it also gives a very clean and professional look to the inside edge.

I've got my grill in hand, but I'm having issues locating the tamale steamer in my local area. 

Thanks Dutch.  I appreciate everyones guidance.  With some luck I'll be smoking with it this weekend. After seasoning he smoker it I think a batch of scarbelly wings are in order for the cristening. 

b
Scarbelly wings are a great way to break in a mini! One more thing, really wrap the terracotta in several layers of foil. The last cook I used mine I only wrapped it in a single layer and the foil cooked on so I cant get it off. Since it has drippings cooked onto it now it smokes and not good smoke.

Great build thread.  Great idea about attaching the lid so you only have to cut once.  I imagine it also gives a very clean and professional look to the inside edge.

I've got my grill in hand, but I'm having issues locating the tamale steamer in my local area. 
Fritz, I had the same problem when I built my first mini. I had to order the pot online through Amazon, which I see has then for $55, OUCH!!! Target and Walmart both have them for $29.00 online. Now there are several locally owned stores here that have them in stock for $29. If you have an Ace Hardware ask them to order you one.

Okay, back to the build.  The first grate level is measured 4" from the top lip. The second grate level is half way between the top grate position and the steamer plate ridge. I'm installing 3 grate bolts per level. So I'm using a string 14.5 inches long to space the holes. 

Drilling 1/4 inch holes for the grate hold bolts.

One inch below the top great bolt holes I drill a hole on the side for my dial thermometer. Its probe will be just below the top grate. 

One the opposite side I drill a second hole for the electronic thermostat probes.  This hole is ABOVE the top grate bolts.

I then install the bushing and nuts for my electronic thermostat probes. ( You can find these bushings in the lamp repair area of your local home improvement store.)

Back to the other side I test fit the dial thermometer and then remove it before painting. 

Okay, Time to install the grate hold bolts.  These are 1/4 by 1/2 inch phillips head screws with lock washers and nuts.  ALL HARDWARE IS STAINLESS STEEL.

3 at each level for a total of 6 bolts, lock washers and nuts. Inside of the pot view. 

I tape the handles and rim and paint with Gloss Black high heat barbecue paint by rustoleum.

I've also put a cutaway decal on the front that I'm using as a stencel. Since this will be my tailgater, the logo I chose is of our local baseball team. 

I'll be back later with a completed project photo and summary of the build. 

Brian

Last edited:
As projects go this one was a real delight. I had plenty of support from our members, everything went together well, it was fun, inexpensive, and best of all I can cook on it!  I'll season it tomorrow on New Years Day with a resolution that good things do indeed come in small packages! Scar Belly wings will be the first smoke on Saturday. 

Last edited:
Very nice job B! Nice logo for the Texas Rangers; is that something you came up with or found on-line somewheres? I'm looking for a good source for laser cut stencils.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky