Building a Mini Weber Smokey Mountain in Texas (Mini WSM)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I use the steamer part that came with my pot as the diffuser and it works well. Temps can vary anywhere I want them and don't use much coal
Do you have to trim the edges of the steamer a bit to fit past the steamer notch in the pot? Also, how did y'all cut the hole so nice and pretty?!?! I used a jigsaw and it came out pretty ugly.... oh well, I suppose it works!

Do you have to trim the edges of the steamer a bit to fit past the steamer notch in the pot? Also, how did y'all cut the hole so nice and pretty?!?! I used a jigsaw and it came out pretty ugly.... oh well, I suppose it works!
I used a second set of hands to hold the pot still. It has to go in on an angle and didn't have to trim anything off of it.

I used a second set of hands to hold the pot still. It has to go in on an angle and didn't have to trim anything off of it.
Hmm.... I guess I'm not really clear on how that works since the steamer rack's diameter is greater than that of the notch. I tried to force the rack past the notch, but got nervous that I'd ovalize the pot so I stopped.

I put the diffuser (steamer insert or whatever, at the level of the notch. If you really want to cook at that level also you can add a grate on the diffuser. Putting the diffuser at that level allows you to have additional room for more charcoal.

I put the diffuser (steamer insert or whatever, at the level of the notch. If you really want to cook at that level also you can add a grate on the diffuser. Putting the diffuser at that level allows you to have additional room for more charcoal.
Ah that's where I was confused. I thought people were putting the steamer diffuser on the very bottom of the pot. I envisioned having a diffuser at the very bottom of the pot, a cooking grate that rests in the steamer notch, and another cooking grate up above.

Last edited:
Bump

Edit: this, IMHO, has become the go to guide for a mini wsm build guide! I nominate this thread for sticky status...

I followed this for my mini build!

Points!!!

Last edited:
I bought a replacement grate for the smokey joe (14.5" diameter) to use as the diffuser rack. I cut off the two bars on each side but it still wouldn't fit past my steamer notch. Does only the 18" kettle grate work using this method, or am I just failing to see how the grate should fit past the notch? Right now I just have the remainder of the expanded metal I had from the charcoal basket as the diffuser rack.

On  side note, plasma cutters make this job a lot easier (and funner!)

I bought a replacement grate for the smokey joe (14.5" diameter) to use as the diffuser rack. I cut off the two bars on each side but it still wouldn't fit past my steamer notch. Does only the 18" kettle grate work using this method, or am I just failing to see how the grate should fit past the notch? Right now I just have the remainder of the expanded metal I had from the charcoal basket as the diffuser rack.

On  side note, plasma cutters make this job a lot easier (and funner!)
You should be able to angle it in with the sides cut off. I just removed part of the outer ring on both sides and it slips right in.

You should be able to angle it in with the sides cut off. I just removed part of the outer ring on both sides and it slips right in.
Perhaps my pot has a slightly smaller inner diameter than yours (I've got the IMUSA 32 qt.) because I tried angling it in from all directions but it wouldn't budge past the steamer notch. I think the expanded metal should work fine since I'm not putting a 15 pound diffuser on it.

Bump

Edit: this, IMHO, has become the go to guide for a mini wsm build guide! I nominate this thread for sticky status...

I followed this for my mini build!

Points!!!
Thank you my friend. I posted this almost a year ago and had no idea that it was now up to 4 pages of comments.  I'm happy it helped you. b

Reactions: foamheart
My old smokey joe has been in mothball status for years unless I am wanting to cook some hot dogs for the kiddo's at the beach in the summer.  I think I'll have to convert it into a smoker and then smoke stuff at the lake or at home when I don't feel like I need to fire up the bigger smoker =)

So, onto the question portion of this post... heh

1) How many ball valves do you think are necessary?  I see some people have a couple and others none...

2) Can you use pellets for smoke or do you need wood chunks?  I was thinking that a foiled soup can with some holes poked in might let the pellets smoke and not catch fire...

3) Is 2 racks the typical setup inside?  What kind of temperature difference do you see between racks?

4) Do you need to use any high heat silicone to seal the lid to the bottom of the pot?  Or a gasket to make a better seal to the base of the smokey joe?

My old smokey joe has been in mothball status for years unless I am wanting to cook some hot dogs for the kiddo's at the beach in the summer.  I think I'll have to convert it into a smoker and then smoke stuff at the lake or at home when I don't feel like I need to fire up the bigger smoker =)

So, onto the question portion of this post... heh

1) How many ball valves do you think are necessary?  I see some people have a couple and others none...

2) Can you use pellets for smoke or do you need wood chunks?  I was thinking that a foiled soup can with some holes poked in might let the pellets smoke and not catch fire...

3) Is 2 racks the typical setup inside?  What kind of temperature difference do you see between racks?

4) Do you need to use any high heat silicone to seal the lid to the bottom of the pot?  Or a gasket to make a better seal to the base of the smokey joe?
1. IT depends on how you want to cook/smoke. For higher temp smokes 300°+ its nice to have the ball valves to get additional air flow. Altitude effects this requirement also. I am at a higher altitude and the ball valves help me achieve the higher temps I like to use when smoking things like poultry.

2. you could certainly try. I use 3-4 2"-3" chunks of wood.

3. I have 2 racks in most of my minis. I primarily use the upper rack. 5-10 degrees, not much

4. No on both questions.

Jaez...I have used a can with holes to keep chips from catching on fire, as well as a a chip smoke box on top of the charcoal.  Either works great for me.

Jaez...I have used a can with holes to keep chips from catching on fire, as well as a a chip smoke box on top of the charcoal.  Either works great for me.
I tried a soup can with some holes drilled in it and foil on top.  The pellets were all black at the end of the smoke, but there was no ash.  I thought it just wasn't getting enough air, so I tossed some pellets on top of the foil as a test on my second try... those came out the same.  Black pellets but no ash.  

Sheeesh!  You guys are killing me. I came here to take a look around and noticed I have one of those coveted Tamale pots that everyone wants. I am almost done with my UDS and now I have to start looking for a Smokey Joe for this!!!  I do have a question tho, seems the gold edition is preferred due to valves being able to be put on the base. Has anyone drilled holes and perhaps put a few 1/2" valves on the silvers?

Jay

Sheeesh!  You guys are killing me. I came here to take a look around and noticed I have one of those coveted Tamale pots that everyone wants. I am almost done with my UDS and now I have to start looking for a Smokey Joe for this!!!  I do have a question tho, seems the gold edition is preferred due to valves being able to be put on the base. Has anyone drilled holes and perhaps put a few 1/2" valves on the silvers?

Jay
Both have pros and cons, particularly if you plan to keep using the sj as a grill as well as a smoker. I have a silver, and while I can get high temps for grilling easier than gold users, I do envy the ability to side light with a torch and the lid holder.

That said, it's much easier to add side vents/valves to a silver than a bottom vent to a gold.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky