Buckboard bacon cure amount questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johndeer

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 16, 2014
South Ga
Hi all
Trying some buckboard out of but.
Using the Himountin cure and unsure about my math it seems purty fuzzy as an afterthought . I used 1.7 ounce of cure for a 2lb 10oz slice of the but . Does thet seem right?

Nothing beats fresh, homemade bacon! In the old days bacon was cut thicker and made from lean portions of the hog, not the fat back as it is made from today. It is fun and easy to make. Buckboard Bacon is best made with a Boston Butt pork roast which you can get at your local grocery store or meat market. With Buckboard Bacon Cure, you are in control. Make as much as you want or as lean as you want. Slice it thin for fast cooking or thick for a bacon "steak". You can even make incredible Canadian bacon from a pork loin. Package contains enough cure to make 25 lbs of bacon and comes with detailed instructions.

Ingredients: salt, brown sugar, sugar, maple sugar, 0.70% sodium nitrite and less than 2% glycerine (to prevent caking).

You did good.... 4% ish is the correct amount... when curing a butt, I would remove the bone and cure in 2 halves... easier for the cure to penetrate thinner hunks of meat..... If you are curing in a zip bag, rotate daily for 10-14 days under refrigeration... take pics for all of us to view....

Thanx guys
thats about the way I figgerd it. Just second guessing myself on this new adventure . I did cut it in two peices . The other one was 2lbs 7oz.
My next challenge is to post pics from this phone . Work two much to use the computer at the house . Should say at work to much.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky