Buckboard bacon and ham tq

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cluckinchicken6

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 3, 2016
Texas
Alright I forgot to take pictures of the first part due because I was also smoking 3 pork butts and had my hands full but I managed to snap a few pictures after the smoke to show y'all what I got sliced up
First I'm going to say is that I read on here about the buckboard ham and bacon so that where I got most of my recipe but i ended up changing a few things
Started out with a full pork butt, and using a paring knife cut along the triangle shape of the bone removing it completely this took a few minutes then using a large filet knife cut through the middle diagonal across the pork butt
Then to the weighing part I used 1 tbs of MORTONS TQ per pound of the porkbutt and into the vacuum seal they go nothing but the tq
I used a gallon bad food saver for the bacon and a quart sized bag for the ham
The ham fit snug and I think that's what gave it it's shape due to it being compressed tightly with it the bag
Now the waiting process the bacon and ham were about 1 3/4 to 2 inches thick in the bag so I let them sit in the fridge flipping them over every day. Cure time was about 10.5 days at about 35 F in my fridge
after the cure I took the ham and bacon out and seasoned them up being from Texas I had to add a little spice my recipe for my bacon powder that I used
1tbs opinion powder
1 tbs garlic powder
1 teaspoon of paprika
1 tbs ground black pepper
1teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon chilli powder
Both the bacon and ham got one each to coat the outside
Set up my smoker for 225 added a 50/50 blend of hickory and pecan chunks I don't know why I love both hickory and pecan but I use this mixture on most of the pork I smoke
It took about 4 1/2 hours for the bacon to come to 145 and then I pulled it leaving the ham to smoke by itself longer
Once my ham hit 190 I pulled it as well it took about 8 hours for it to reach this point and it would budge past it
At this point I let the bacon and ham rest for about an hour apiece then stuck them in my beer fridge for extra cooling for a day before slicing
Here's the pics Pre smoke with rub Buckboard ham
Buckboard bacon right in the center about 3 thin strips kind of lacked the bright pink color of the cure I don't know if it's a trick of the light so I took a different picture
Same piece but closer pic
Bacoooooon
Side cut of the ham
Thanks for reading and if you have any helpful input just let me know next time I plan on leaving them in the cure for an extra day just to get a good dark pink through them

Last edited:
Your bacon looks great!

I don't use TQ, but I let my bacon cure for 14 days.

As thick as yours appears to be, I think I would have let it go a few extra days.

Maybe even 3 weeks.

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky