BuckBoard Bacon ala Bearcarver. With Q/view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

garyc

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Illinois
Bearcarver was kind enough to instruct me on the art of BBB in a different thread. Thanks to his wisdom I now have some of the best tasting pork I have ever had. I followed his instructions and butterflied a pork butt and rubbed it with 1 Tbs QT and 1 Tbs brown sugar per pound. I also seasoned it with pepper, garlic and onion powder. I then vacuum packed the two pieces and put into the fridge for 9 days.

35912ba3_IMG_4979.jpg

d2d35e46_IMG_4981.jpg

After 9 days I rinsed them off and let sit in cold water for about 1/2 hour. I turned my MES on and warmed it to 140 deg. I put both halves in for an hour to dry them off. I then fired up my AMNS with hickory and let it smoke for another hour at 140 deg. I then bumped the temp up to 160 and smoked for about 6 more hours. When my AMNS ran dry I filled it with apple dust. After about 7 hours total the meat was up to about 125 deg. I then raised the MES to 180 deg and let it go another 2 hours until the BBB was to 160 deg. Bear mentioned that he was going to try it that way so he could eat it without a second cooking. So I thought I would give it a try.

After a total of 9 hours I was at 160 deg and this is what it looked like.

b9ec63b7_IMG_5037.jpg

I got out my slicer and cut up one half of it. I will vacuum pack the other side whole and freeze it for later.

676b011a_IMG_5040.jpg

ab141ce6_IMG_5042.jpg

This tasted OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!! WOW!

It is sweet, smokey and very tasty! I smoked some cheese that will be ready in about a week and I think it will go great with this!

Thank you Bear! Once again you came through with some great advice!!!!

Oh yeah, that's some purty bacon!  Good on Bear for helping you out.
thumb1%20copy.gif

Nice job on the BBB. That's about the leanest I've seen so far. Kudo's to Bear with the guidance. 
thumbsup.gif
This is the first time I ever tasted BBB. It is kind of like a cross between ham and bacon. I assume it would be more bacon like if there were more fat and I hadn't cooked it to 160. No matter though, it was great!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky