Brown residue in firebox help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

clbraddock

Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
Hi, 

I have recently been using a Yoder offset smoker. I have developed an issue with residue in the firebox. The interior of the firebox has a normal black color, but when I try to wipe it down I get smears of a brown residue that wasn't visible prior to wiping. This problem is only in the firebox - the cooking chamber is seasoned and has not has any issues. Im thinking it is possibly creosote, but am unsure. Is there a good way to remove this? Water somewhat works, but I am reluctant to wet down the firebox due to rust concerns. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Chris

Let that stuff build up. It will eventually start to peel and fall down into the fire. Who in the heck cleans the firebox?

Hello.... OCD. Hahaha....

Yeah, I might just be being to ocd about it. The smoker was really expensive for my budget so Im just paranoid to make sure I'm taking care of it properly. 

If you guys don't think it is an issue, I won't worry about it.

Thanks,

chris

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky