broke in the new smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

abraxasil

Original poster
Nov 21, 2006
Southern Illinois
Hello All -

Broke in the new GOSM today and all went well execpt for the fact that the smoke didn't last long at all. Filled the box with small chips of oak, (about thumb size), filled the water pan full, and fired it up - kept it a shade over 200F. Started smoking in 10 -15 minutes but lasted only 1 hour or so. And it wasn't a "thin blue" either - kinda had more smoke than I expected it to after reading through the posts. So I guess I will try chunks next time - maybe it will smoke a little slower and last a little longer. Maybe I should try the baking pan/cofffee can modification or maybe soak the wood some - any ideas?

Congrats on the break in abraxasil. What meat took the maiden voyage? I would definitely modify the smoke box. Try using larger chunks mixed with chips, and maybe mix woods for a blend of smoke types.

Keep Smokin

Hi PigCicles -

Just doing the seasoning of the new unit right now - I don't want to goof up any meat before I get the kinks ironed out, else I'll be sleeping outside. Gonna try larger chunks of oak with the modification on the smoke box and see how that does. Thanks for the tips.

Abraxasil,
I think that the coffee can is a must instead of the wood box that comes with the GOSM. The delivered box just isn't big enough for some decent size chunks. You do have to cut the coffee can down a bit to make it fit under the water pan but a good pair of tin snips does the trick. Also I don't bother soaking my wood any more, I haven't found that it makes much of a difference other than it takes longer to get the wood started.

I found with my GOSM that chunks in the cast pan that came with the smoker work fine. I don't put the top on the cast box unless there is too much smoke. I find that I need to add a couple chunks every 45 minto 1 hour. That timing works well because I like to spray my meat to enhance browning and/or bark development, depending on what is in the smoker.

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

Nice hearing from you Meowey, and I'm planning on trying out your Cornel Chicken receipe. I have a question.....you say you spray the meat to enhance browning. What do you use?

I spray just about all meat that goes in the smoker. I think the only thing i don't spray is meatloaf.

My spray is 3 parts apple juice to 1 part bourbon. The sugars carmelize and brown. It also helps enhance the bark on briskets and butts.

Hope this helps.

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

I will disagree with Dionysus. I have found that soaking the wood makes for a longer smoke. I generally start with small pieces that are dry, soaked small pieces and a soaked chunk or two. Every hour I had an additional soaked chunk or two. I can keep constant smoke for as long as I need to.

I do agree with the coffee can modification.

First thanks to all who advised me on the gosm what a sweet rig thanks. For me personally the chips last about an hour, the chunks about twice as long. Depending on what I am cooking a spray once an hour is what I do but sometimes I just pour a beer on it every hour its dual pourpose keeps meat very moist and puts water in the pan.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky