Briskett problem

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kwandtke

Original poster
May 18, 2014
So I have this problem. I have a really nice 12lb packer .. soooo looking forward to doing my best with it .. But then this snowstorm shows up... word is sno all night and turning to freezing rain toward monring. I was planning on putting this thing on around midnight and letting it go for dinner tomorrow afternoon. My concern is doing this in a snowstorm. Now I have this thing .. question is what to do with it. I have read you can do one in a regular oven .. same way .. low temp for many hours. No smoke but I have people coming .. I'm not sure what options I have. Now if I do everything the same it should cook the same right? 260 until the stall .. then I wrap ... So I mean it will cook ok .. I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to make it as similar as possible. I heard use some liquid smoke but ..

Hoping somebody here has tried this ....

Reactions: WildewoodBBQ
I actually tried something similar last year, I got a big azz brisket on sale, and I didnt trust my lil electric smoker overnight unattended..

I started mine in the oven overnight then just went to the smoker split into two pieces, basically the point and the flat, and cooked for about 8 hours with apple and pecan.

Didn’t wrap it, turned out amazing!! Don’t worry, you can do it! It will still absorb the smoke flavor later.

Regarding the weather, just try and keep the smoker to 250* or thereabouts and you should be fine. I think my oven temp was low, I wanna day 225, 235 maybe? I was there for about 8 hours then went to the smoker.

Good luck, I’m sure it’ll turn out awesome!!

I’ve done brisket (the flat not a whole packer) in the crockpot for like 10 hours or so. Turned out great but totally lacked the smoke profile. I assume you’d get the same result in an oven low and slow.....

What smoker do you have? I have smoked in the cold and snow before.

I did mine in a snowstorm last week... burned a few more pellets, but turned out great...if y our smoker has the power, it will keep the temp. What smoker you got?

What smoker do you have? I have smoked in the cold and snow before.
Kamado Joe ... I've smoked in cold b4 .. my concern was wind snow and sleet .... It turned out it stormed much more than predicted so I did end up doing it in oven ... we'll see .. thanx

Next time you run into this situation - do a site search for high heat briskets. I think you'll be surprised at the results.

Chris

Still put it in the Joe for awhile if you are up for it, there will be some smoked flavor that gets there

Try to get a couple hours of smoke on it if you can, wrap it and finish it in the oven I've done that before when we had one of those East Texas Frog Stranglers come up.

Gary

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Smoke until the stall. Smoke stops taking to the meat at this point. Finish in the oven. You will be famous.

So for all those that responded with advise I thank you. I read them all after as my internet went out just after I posted that question. I opted to do my briskett in teh oven .. my reasoning being heat is heat .. no smoke but ... So I did it just like I would have for the smoker. Watched Aaron Franklin's YouTube on trimming as I was trimming .. did the salt / 16mesh blackpeper (50/50) for the rub. Put it on at midnight at 260 ... it went for a few hours .. stalled at 154 .. I wrapped it in butcher paper and put it back in.. At one point I dropped the temp a little .. I pulled it at 4:00 .. at 201 .. wrapped it towels and stuffed it in a cooler for a little over and hour. When I cut the falt .. I took a stip and pulled it .. it stretched and broke .. the juice was coming out .. Maybe the best brisket I've made.. at least in the top 2 or 3 ... All my guests could not get enuf .... So.. no smoke ring .. and yes a little of that smokey flavorful missing from the bark but still .. I'm very happy ..

My next brisket will wait for a weekend with no snow anywhere in the forecast .. and will be an 18lb'er .. :-) Thanks again for all the ideas ...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky