brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johno

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 30, 2007
texas , queensland
i did a small (very small ) brisket today it was only about 2.5 pounds an inch thick one end and about 2 inch at the other end , it came up to 160 f quicker than i would of liked took just over 2 hours so i foiled it with some apple juice took it out to 199 as slow as i could took about 2.5 hours , then took it out wrapped it up a thick towel and forgot about it for another 3 hours .then i got some of the juice from the foil (not much there lost through a hole in my foil ) added to that a dash of red wine vin half a spoon of brown sugar and a couple of good splashes of jeffs sauce , and low and behold tasted pretty darn good the brisket is now sliced and awaiting consumption this evening ( came out looking like what we call here "silverside" or corned beef )suppose i better throw a pic on too.
ad12177a_vbattach12328.jpg

supprisingly good eats , the wife put slices of the meat on some flour tortillas with a good helping of fried onion some cheese and the sauce that i made , rolled the whole lot up heated it under what we call a grill but you guys call some thing else but cant think what it is , very nice indeed , she is not a big eater but she went back for more . now the more i look at the meat the more i think it was a corned flat .

That sure looks good in comparison to the piece of leather I turned out a couple of weekends ago :)

I think my problem was in the cut of meat itself... it was extremely lean, and I don't think the brisket I ended up with, was the same kind of brisket that everyone else uses.

It seems like alot of the Canadian cuts of meat are different... but I'm learning... slowly :)

Great Job Johno!
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif

Tys -

I beieve the general concenus is to try to keep a 1/4 inch of fat cap on your brisket when smoking. If all else fails you can marinate or spray it alot!

that brisket had almost no fat cap at all , just had a thin bit down one end , i did use the tooth pick trick for marking the grain of the meat , plus the very long rest time in the foil after it was cooked i think probably helped a lot , and i think it was a corned brisket ,( i think ) , anyway it turned very tender no cewing needed and it wasnt dry at all , my mum tried some today, cold and said it was buuuuuuuutifull so that will do me .and she never had any of the dipping sauce because i froze the little bit that was leftover.

johno, looks very tasty.

i think indeed you got a corned beef brisket... i love them... oh and you just made pastrami..lol

now i am going to have to go buy me another one to smoke

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky