brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johno

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 30, 2007
texas , queensland
i did a small (very small ) brisket today it was only about 2.5 pounds an inch thick one end and about 2 inch at the other end , it came up to 160 f quicker than i would of liked took just over 2 hours so i foiled it with some apple juice took it out to 199 as slow as i could took about 2.5 hours , then took it out wrapped it up a thick towel and forgot about it for another 3 hours .then i got some of the juice from the foil (not much there lost through a hole in my foil ) added to that a dash of red wine vin half a spoon of brown sugar and a couple of good splashes of jeffs sauce , and low and behold tasted pretty darn good the brisket is now sliced and awaiting consumption this evening ( came out looking like what we call here "silverside" or corned beef )suppose i better throw a pic on too.
ad12177a_vbattach12328.jpg

supprisingly good eats , the wife put slices of the meat on some flour tortillas with a good helping of fried onion some cheese and the sauce that i made , rolled the whole lot up heated it under what we call a grill but you guys call some thing else but cant think what it is , very nice indeed , she is not a big eater but she went back for more . now the more i look at the meat the more i think it was a corned flat .

That sure looks good in comparison to the piece of leather I turned out a couple of weekends ago :)

I think my problem was in the cut of meat itself... it was extremely lean, and I don't think the brisket I ended up with, was the same kind of brisket that everyone else uses.

It seems like alot of the Canadian cuts of meat are different... but I'm learning... slowly :)

Great Job Johno!
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif

Tys -

I beieve the general concenus is to try to keep a 1/4 inch of fat cap on your brisket when smoking. If all else fails you can marinate or spray it alot!

that brisket had almost no fat cap at all , just had a thin bit down one end , i did use the tooth pick trick for marking the grain of the meat , plus the very long rest time in the foil after it was cooked i think probably helped a lot , and i think it was a corned brisket ,( i think ) , anyway it turned very tender no cewing needed and it wasnt dry at all , my mum tried some today, cold and said it was buuuuuuuutifull so that will do me .and she never had any of the dipping sauce because i froze the little bit that was leftover.

johno, looks very tasty.

i think indeed you got a corned beef brisket... i love them... oh and you just made pastrami..lol

now i am going to have to go buy me another one to smoke

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky