Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
I smoke or cook on a kettle several times each week and I have had my newest neighbors over a few times to eat with my crowd. He is a disabled Army veteran and a retired police officer who now is having some mobility issues along with CHF and he recently asked me to smoke them a brisket. I told him that I'd be glad to and a couple of days ago, his wife showed me 2 pre-seasoned flats she got from Aldi's. I have no experience with them or smoking just a flat so I'm looking for some guidance, please.

I found this post...
I've done a few of those Aldi pre-seasoned brisket flats. Take to 150~160° on the grate, and finish it in a covered foil pan with some liquid (beef stock, beer, etc) and pull it when it probes tender. It will come out great. I generally run the smoker at 275° for the first part of the cook, but you could go to 300 or a little above, once foiled.
Seems like an excellent direction, but if anyone else has anything to add, I would greatly appreciate it. I just don't want to screw these up.
Thanks...

Seems like an excellent direction, but if anyone else has anything to add, I would greatly appreciate it. I just don't want to screw these up.
Thanks
DougE DougE is spot on with his guidance. I like to use a mixture of beef broth, beef gravy (Heinz in the jar is fine) bourbon, and more of the seasoning used on the brisket. Mix it all up and pour it over the met in the pan then cook to finish. The leftover gravy mixture makes an excellent sauce for the meat when all is done. Much better than standard BBQ sauce because all the beef flavors work beautifully together.

Great gesture on your part my friend!!

Robert

Very cool of you to do Charles. Check this one out by SmokinAl SmokinAl too. Have used his method before with great results.

DougE DougE is spot on with his guidance. I like to use a mixture of beef broth, beef gravy (Heinz in the jar is fine) bourbon, and more of the seasoning used on the brisket. Mix it all up and pour it over the met in the pan then cook to finish. The leftover gravy mixture makes an excellent sauce for the meat when all is done. Much better than standard BBQ sauce because all the beef flavors work beautifully together.

Great gesture on your part my friend!!

Robert
Thank you Robert. Sounds like a great plan of attack...

Very cool of you to do Charles. Check this one out by SmokinAl SmokinAl too. Have used his method before with great results.

Thanks John for that link!! That looks like a great way, too.

Now I have some great advice from the masters...

Reactions: Brokenhandle
I can't add any advice than what you have but I know your neighbor will love it! And I'm sure appreciates being invited over even more!

Ryan

Reactions: bauchjw
Well today's the day. Decided to use SmokinAl SmokinAl 's technique somewhat...

20220627_064935[1].jpg

20220627_065130[1].jpg

One was a flat and the other was cut more from the middle and had some of the fat seam that separates the point and flat. Already seasoned with salt and pepper so I just injected with unsalted beef broth and into pans with some more broth. Fired up my Oklahoma Joe with some lump and maple and here we go...
20220627_073320[1].jpg

I'll be back...

Looks like a great start. I have seen those at Aldis and wondered about them. Now I got something else to add to the "gotta try" list. In for the finish.

Jim

Already seasoned with salt and pepper so I just injected with unsalted beef broth and into pans with some more broth.
OK good . I was gonna mention watch adding additional salt , but your all over it .
If you're going to add the braising liquid back to the meat , take a taste first to check the salt level . Liquid leeched out of the brisket and evaporation might increase the salt in the juice .

That is very generous of you and it is a nice gift back to a veteran, an officer, and a neighbor.

SmokinAl SmokinAl has you covered on the method. Those look huge! Never seen them here...but we dont have Aldi's either.

That is very generous of you and it is a nice gift back to a veteran, an officer, and a neighbor.

SmokinAl SmokinAl has you covered on the method. Those look huge! Never seen them here...but we dont have Aldi's either.
Thanks, Dave. They're really not that big, just under 4 lbs. each, but pre-seasoned with salt & pepper. That had me nervous about adding any additional seasoning...

Quick update. The briskets were done, probe tender at 207℉, in about 5 hours, way quicker than I imagined. Got them foil wrapped and in the oven at 175℉ to hold until supper. Pan of Dutch Dutch 's wicked baked beans on the smoker now and a pan of mac & cheese waiting until later. Only change to Dutch's recipe is I used peaches instead of pineapple. A couple more pics...
20220627_093351[1].jpg

20220627_115715[1].jpg

They seemed really tender when I probed them and smelled fantastic so we'll see. This is my first time cooking these so hopefully I haven't messed them up.

I'll be back...

I'm watching closely Charles. I've got a packer defrosting in the fridge.

Chris

They sure do look good from here.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky