Brisket Woes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigsmoken

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Sep 11, 2013
Canon City Colorado
So I did a brisket and it didn't come out tender it came out a bit tough and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what I did wrong.  It was a four lb flat. I injected it with a beef broth and put on my rub. I let it sit for like three hours in the fridge that way. I then smoked it at 225 till it hit 160. I wrapped it in some stubbs beef and cooked it at 225 till it hit 192 then allowed it to rest for a little over an hour. What did I do wrong or what can I do to help it get even more tender the only thing I can think of is that I didn't let it rest long enough. Any help can be appreciated and much needed

From what you wrote everything sounds right. Was this your first brisket? If not have the others turned out good? Are you sure on the temps are correct on your gauges on the smoker  and thermometer you were checking your meat with? Sometimes you just get a bad piece of meat.

I've done one other brisket and it turned out a bit tougher than this one.....I used a maverick therometer and trust it totally as far as telling me the right temp....does it have something to do with the fact that it was only 4#'s? not enough cook time to let it get tender? it took like 7 hrs

I don't do very many flats, normally whole packers. Next time try putting it in a shallow pan with a little beef broth and foil tight. What kind of smoker? I wonder if maybe it's running hotter than you think? The maverick thermometer sound be money.

It's likely that you didn't let it cook long enough.   BTW, temp should be thought of as a guideline.   A brisket is done when when you can stick it with probe and it slides in like a hot knife through butter. 

Didnt cook near long enough.

I cook to feel and not temp but even going off feel and then checking temps my briskets are almost always 205 or around there when the probe goes into the brisket like warm butter. Then i wrap in a towel and put it in a cooler for an hr or two.

When i probe my briskets, there is more resistence against the foil then there is going through the brisket.

I was using a grill that I had built....its a reverse flow smoker and it goes like a beast....and I didn't realize that the temp was just a guideline....I also figgured it was gonna take 1.5 hrs per # of meat and it got to the temp I wanted within that time frame..but the next one I do I'm gonna use that...when the probe slides in like butter. I'll try that...I have a packers brisket that I want to do but I have two flats that I want to do to get my recipie and how to cook it right...does a packer brisket cook different than just the flat?

It will take long cause of the added amount of meat and fat content. Process is same just dont expect it to get done same amount of time.

I never use time or meat temp for calling it done. Always poke test and its never let me down yet. Every piece of meat cooks diferent. No two are the same. Just takes practice and getting a feel for it.

yeah I'm not stranger to the trial and error part of smoking hell anyone worth their weight in salt isnt...I was a little intimatated by the brisket. still am but now thanks to ya'll I have the way to make sure its right..thank god there is a Sams in the next town full of brisket meat...lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky