Brisket Throwdown this weekend

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

funk

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 18, 2006
My brother in law loves my brisket, but thinks he can do better so he challenged me to a throwdown at the family party on Sunday.  Only problem is that I have so much going on this weekend that I am going to have to smoke it tomorrow and reheat for Sunday.  Not happy with this but nothing I can do about prior commitments.  The questions is after it is done on cooking day should I slice it (after a resting period)  or should I just let is cool down and slice after reheating on Sunday?  Thanks.

when i did some brisket for work i finished them the night before at an internal temp of 205 and let them sit and pulled them with my bear paws,  i put the meat in some disposable tin containers and the juice i had in the tin foil i poured over the meat and added some beef broth.  covered with foil and put them back into my MES40 at 100 degrees overnight and when i got to work the next morning i pulled them out and mixed them up and put back into my smoker.  worked out awesome!  fresh pulled brisket basting in juices and tender.  just an idea for you.

Thanks for the help.  I have always carved my brisket, but I may pull it this time.

i did mine like a pork shoulder, smoked at 225 til the internal temp got to 165. double wrapped in foil with some beef broth and back in the smoker til it 205. let it rest in a cooler for about 2 hours and started to pull it.

e3d4a756_IMG00101-20110131-09111.jpg

a88cafc3_IMG00104-20110131-18431.jpg

63773b42_IMG00105-20110131-1859.jpg

ecaf3b76_IMG00106-20110131-1911.jpg

61b0826f_IMG00112-20110202-1008.jpg

Last edited:
Personally I prefer sliced brisket. I would reheat it whole in a covered foil pan with juice. Then slice just before you eat. 

I'm a sliced brisket buy myself as well and I always cook foil then let it rest then probably eat a meal or two then the rest get vacuum sealed and frozen and I usually dump some of the drippings in each bag and they are always nice and juicy. Maybe not as good as fresh out of the smoker that day but darn good. Tough call on slicing it before then reheating the slices or leaving it hole and reheating it then slicing. I have heard of people doing it both ways and they both seem to work.

Slowly reheating it in a pan with a foil lid and some of the drippings would be the way to go weather you slice it or leave it whole. Or doing the same thing in foil would work as well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky