Brisket, the wife say's I'm crazy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

twotrackerbryan

Original poster
Oct 19, 2013
Ok, so I upgraded my smoker last week and I joined this forum this morning.  I spent quite a bit of time reading today and while I had a few chickens in the smoker I read a post by Kryinggame and by Solaryellow.  I went out and bought a brisket and the ingredients and I am going to make my first attempt at a brisket.  It just looked too tasty!

Out with the chicken, in the brisket.

Last edited:
Nice color looks great, How did they turn out for taste and tenderness ?

gary

The chickens are incredible and I had no idea chicken could taste so good (very tender and moist).  Especially dragging the meat across the bottom of the serving dish in the juice.  As far as help eating it...the first time we made it, it was just the family.  Last night the kids invited some friends over as well as an aunt and uncle, it didn't last long.  Next time it will be four chickens in the smoker.

Update on the brisket:

I got it up to 170 and from what I could tell it passed the toothpick test and is the cool down period.  I separated the point but as you can see by the picture I just couldn't help myself, it was too good and ate most of it before I took the picture.  A little went back in the smoker and should be done shortly.

And for those of you looking at this and thinking to yourself "what a rookie, this guy has no idea what he is doing"  Well you are right. If you see something I am doing wrong or have some advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Bryan

Last edited:
I usually go to 195° for slicing, and 205° for pulling. But if your brisket seemed done at 170°, then I guess it was done. Every piece of meat is different, some start out more tender than others.

Bravo on your first brisket!

BTW, my wife used to think I was crazy for pulling all-nighter's on briskets and pork butts. But after she tasted them, she does not anymore.
43.gif

I usually go to 195° for slicing, and 205° for pulling. But if your brisket seemed done at 170°, then I guess it was done. Every piece of meat is different, some start out more tender than others.

Bravo on your first brisket!

BTW, my wife used to think I was crazy for pulling all-nighter's on briskets and pork butts. But after she tasted them, she does not anymore.
43.gif
I must confess I changed a few things based on some commitments I had prior to putting the brisket in the smoker.  First I cooked it at a lower temperature for longer because I knew I wouldn't be home.  I started off at 240 and then changed it to 200 for about 8 hours and then finished it at 280.  It was in the smoker for a total of 22 hours.  The second change is something I will never do again.  It only stayed in the foil for about 45 minutes.  When the family says it is time to eat, well its time to eat.  I thought it was just slightly dry but figured it was fine because I thought it tasted as good as Famous Daves.  But today at lunch the meat was perfect and I saved just enough for dinner.  I love my new smoker.

For me no meats is done till a probe goes into the meat with no resistance, like a hot knife through butter. I don't care how long the meat has been in the cooker, or what the internal temperature is. Once it probes, then it gets wrapped in foil, then wrapped in some clean dry towels, and into a dry cooler for at least an hour. That takes a fair amount of planning to get the timing down.

That's how I do it, your mileage may vary... the most important thing to me in any cook is that my family and guests like what I put on the table. Have fun with your new hobby.

Nice looking Brisket Bryan,
22 hours huh? That's quite a marathon! Did it take on a lot of smoke taste? i didn't see much of a smoke ring, but that's not always the best indicator. Also, next time try to make some "burnt ends" out of the point. Those are awesome!

That's the good thing about smoking it's not an exact time frame like baking a cake or doing a soufflé  you can adjust your temps, pull it wrap and hold it. To me about the only thing that turns out bad BBQ is rushing it or pulling it off before it is ready. The more you cook on your smoker the more you will figure out it's characteristics nab what you can and can't do  gets easier  and easier.

Gart

Nice looking Brisket Bryan,
22 hours huh? That's quite a marathon! Did it take on a lot of smoke taste? i didn't see much of a smoke ring, but that's not always the best indicator. Also, next time try to make some "burnt ends" out of the point. Those are awesome!
Not bad on the smoke taste, I turned the smoke off for the 8 hours I turned the temp down.  As far as the smoke ring, I am not sure if I will get one.  I am using a 6 rack Bradley and from the sounds of it an electric smoker will not give a ring.

Here is my brisket plan of attack.  Because of the advice of what I have read on the forum and a few PM's, I now have to make 4 or 5 more briskets.  I have a few different recipes I want to try and a few different ways to serve the finished product.  Pulled and burnt ends are one he list!

One bad thing is I have been running the smoker in the garage with the garage door half open and the wife said the smell was nice at first but now the house is starting to smell like a smoke house.  Its a good thing she doesn't read on this forum because I like it and it is better than those fruity candles!

!

One bad thing is I have been running the smoker in the garage with the garage door half open and the wife said the smell was nice at first but now the house is starting to smell like a smoke house.  Its a good thing she doesn't read on this forum because I like it and it is better than those fruity candles!
I smoke off the back patio and if the wind is right, it makes the whole inside of the house smell like smoked awesomeness, even with the windows closed. My wife complains and I ask for forgiveness "claiming" it was an accident...hehehe

Looks great!!! as some others have said, I like to pull mine out of the smoker at 190...and then wrap it in an old blanket and put into a cooler...and just let it sit that way for 2 hours or so...

The brisket will then rise up to over 200 degrees, and the meat will have a chance to rest and act like a sponge for the juices. 

If you read a bit on here, you will hear about connecting tissue...it breaks down around the 190-200 degree mark, and makes the meat so tender you can cut with a fork.

For burnt ends, I separate the two pieces of meat (assuming you are smoking a packer). Then cube the point, and add additional rub to the cubes...and then put back on smoke for a few hours. The idea is to caramelize the sugar, and basically you make meat candy! You can do this will pork and sausage too...my wife will not let me smoke anything without getting some smoked sausage (johnsonville, etc) and cut it in to chunks, and add the rub...

But great looking smoke!!! The chicken's looked delicious!!! and the brisket makes the mouth water!!!!

Brisket used to be my worst category, now it is one of the best things I make.  I like to cook mine faster so I wrap it once it has been on the smoker for about 2 hours.  I include some juices and marinades as well inside the foil.  A 12-14 pound brisket cooking at 250 degrees will reach about 195 in 8 hours or so.  As far a rubs I use a simple mix of salt, pepper, garlic and a few other odds and ins.  Once it reaches 195-197 I take it out and separate the point.  I cube them, toss them in some seasoning and lightly sauce them.  They go back on the smoker for another 30 minutes or however long it takes to render out the fat in the burnt ends.

Brisket isn't really hard once you understand how it all works.  Remember to cut against the grain of the meat and to trim off the big pieces of fat before you cook it.  There shouldn't be more than a 1/4 layer of fat on the top.

The most important thing is to have fun.  As long as you like it there is no right or wrong way to do it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky