Brisket that was dry

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

eriksp

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 11, 2011
Orange County, New York
This was my wife's first attempt at a small Brisket. It came out very dry. It was 4.3lb's. It was a small section my wife found in a store. She cooked it to 171 Internal. She took it out and wrapped it. Say when it was resting it didn't even reach 190 which it probably didn't why would it be so dry?

I read the sticky and it says internal 170 and foil and put back on until 190.

IMG_6084.jpg

Dry at 190 is unusual unless that temp was inaccurate. If dry and crumbly it’s overcooked, if tough And chewy then it’s underdone and the fat didn’t render out. I start probing around 200, looking for your probe to slide in Relatively easily. Most will say lime warm butter, but for me there’s some resistance, just not a whole lot. Tough cut to master. Only a couple fails, or 10, get you there.

This was my wife's first attempt at a small Brisket. It came out very dry. It was 4.3lb's. It was a small section my wife found in a store. She cooked it to 171 Internal. She took it out and wrapped it. Say when it was resting it didn't even reach 190 which it probably didn't why would it be so dry?

I read the sticky and it says internal 170 and foil and put back on until 190.

View attachment 448155

As the others are saying that was undercooked.
Dry and tough = undercooked.

I believe collagen doesn't begin to break down until 190F + and takes some time once that temp is hit. Your juiciness and tenderness comes when that stuff breaks down.

Brisket is only done when it is tender. Temp tells you to check for tenderness. I usually dont check for tenderness until about 199-200F. You check for tenderness by stabbing all over with a kabob skewer or something like that and if it goes in without resistance than it is tender and therefore done.

Follow those practices for brisket and u will be golden.

You can simply throw that brisket in a crock pot with bbq sauce or braise in a skillet with sauce and some water and it will tender up and be good too. Don't throw it out or waste it, you can still turn it into excellent food :)

I always thought you wanted pink inside and be able to slice it. I figured if I took it to where I bring Pulled Pork it would be mush.

The brisket has a great taste also.

I always thought you wanted pink inside and be able to slice it. I figured if I took it to where I bring Pulled Pork it would be mush.

The brisket has a great taste also.

If you want Roast Beef then yeah. Brisket is not a cut for roast beef though. You will want a way different cut of meat for your med-rare pink inside.
OR you cure it and make pastrami or corned beef then it will be pink due to the curing salt :D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky