BRISKET...SUCCESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kryinggame

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
Charlotte, NC
First off, I've been smoking for many of years.  I've had nothing but success with pork; poultry; fish, cheese but when it came down to brisket, well let's just say if I were in grade school, I would have received a D.  I've never been confident with smoking a brisket.  I think I've only done 1brisket that was decent.

Anyway, with my never give up focus, I read  the thread, "The Secret To Good Sliced Brisket Defies Conventional Wisdom" started by my new best friend: Solaryellow.  I went to Wally world and picked up a 9.7 lb packer; said a prayer and then followed Solaryellow's simple instructions.  His philosophy is not to cut the fat, any of it.  Anyway, below are some qview's of my, PROGRESS:

So, I picked up this beautiful 9.7lb packer from Walmart.  The price on it is $23.11

Due to the size of the brisket, I doubled Solaryellow's rub.  Next time, I think I'll just go with what he suggests.  Doubling the recipe really brings a lot of heat.

Rubbed and ready for the MES.  Yes, I decided to go with the ol' unreliable MES instead of my Weber Smokey Mountain.  The reason is, teh MES is set it and forget it (hmmm)

Got my AMNPS loaded with Pitmaster's Choice.  It's only 7:30 p.m., but already pitch black outside.  Once the AMNPS is fully going, it burns...burn baby burn...

I got the MES to 230*. 

Okay, here's the problem.  I put the brisket into the MES at 7:30 P.M.  The entire smoke was done at 230* with the goal of pulling the meat out at 195* internally (also, testing by using the toothpick test).  For whatever reason, my unrealiable MES went off today for about an hour (the meat was at 170*, I discovered that the MES was off when it dropped down to 164*).  I had to start the MES again and get it up to 230* again.  The meat didn't start finish until nearly 3:00 P.M., the next day.  I lost more than an hour when the darn MES went of but I'm not exactly sure how long it was off. Quite honestly, I have to follow the 2 hours per pound philosophy.  That's the closest that I can come to.  That means, the entire smoke was about 19 hours, give or take.  This is what it looked like when I took it out of the smoker. 

I foiled that bad boy for 2 hours and this is what it looked like when I pulled it out. I was looking for the smoke ring and maybe to see if it was dripping with juice but baby, that piece of meat was so freaking good. 

Don't judge a book by it's cover.  Look at the fat on it.  It sure taste good.Thanks all for looking

Thanks all for looking!!!

Very nice.  I will have to look up that thread.

Oh, you wont get a smoke ring with a MES.

:icon_wink:
Yes, I decided to go with the ol' unreliable MES instead of my Weber Smokey Mountain.  The reason is, teh MES is set it and forget it (hmmm)

For whatever reason, my unrealiable MES went off today for about an hour (the meat was at 170*, I discovered that the MES was off when it dropped down to 164*).  I had to start the MES again and get it up to 230* again. 

Set it and forget it? :wink:

Perhaps you discovered a new method??? 230 for 5 hours - 170 for 2 hours then back up to 230 till done?? Okay, maybe not but it's a thought. (grin) Nice looking chunk-o-meat!!

Here's an update!

DANG, THE BRISKET IS BETTER THE NEXT DAY. 

You can even eat it cold.  I just warmed it up in the oven and it's dripping with flavor and is butter soft.

I notice that the Flat looks dry but it's not; It's actually flavorful.  The Point, mamma mia, it's dripping of juice and flavor (thus the rendered fat)

My only complaint is, I find it salty.  I doubled the rub recipe and that means 1/3 times 2 of salt.  That's a bit much for my dear old mamma.  So, I'm just going to cut off the crust for her part.

But my goodness, the brisket is amazing.  And, the AMNPS loaded with Pitmaster's Choice is absolutely, perfect.

Big shout-out and gratitude to my new best friend, Solaryellow for the thread.  The secret truly is, don't cut the fat--even that ugly, hard piece of fat.  Just leave it be.

Below is a picture of today's lunch

Good Job!  Glad you finally got it!  I know when I hit that brisket right...I wanted to do a "happy dance" all thru the neighborhood!

Kat

Looks like you did a real nice job. Sometimes things happen but still turned out  Congrats !!!

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky