Brisket Style Tri-Tip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Love this idea. And it looks amazing. I wish TT would get more realistically priced up here. Over 20.00 a pound.
You might look for a Morton's Smokehouse Tri Tip. They are marinated and cryovaced, but turn out pretty good when treated like a brisket. Aldi carries then usually.

Reactions: bauchjw
You might look for a Morton's Smokehouse Tri Tip. They are marinated and cryovaced, but turn out pretty good when treated like a brisket. Aldi carries then usually.

I haven't been to Aldis in quite awhile. I'll check it out. Thanks for the tip!

I haven't been to Aldis in quite awhile. I'll check it out. Thanks for the tip!

Ibe always felt the premarinaded meats in Chryo have a chemical taste.You think those are pretty good?

This is rather timely. It just so happens that I pulled a TT out of the freezer yesterday and came here to SMF to look at some of the different ways everyone does it. I think I will give this one a go.

great! Can’t wait to see! 😛
Just under 6 hours at 250, pulled at 193 (was shooting for 190 but got distracted). A little of the bark come off on the tongs when wrapping for the cooler and was to die for. Rested about 2 hours and sliced. Great taste, good consistency and juicy. Works for me.
1634486554793.jpeg

1634486590181.jpeg

This is rather timely. It just so happens that I pulled a TT out of the freezer yesterday and came here to SMF to look at some of the different ways everyone does it. I think I will give this one a go.
I hope yours goes just as well as Mikes went!!! Let us know!

It came out awesome. Super tender and flavorful!!!
I did the same olive oil, salt, and black pepper prep. Smoked it at 225, wrapped at 165ish, and took it to 200, then rested in a cooler for an hour or two. If I do this again, which I likely will, I will pull it off at 195. It came out slightly on the dry side, but it's still a winner in my book.

20211017_195438.jpg

20211017_195806.jpg

20211017_195630.jpg

It came out awesome. Super tender and flavorful!!!
I did the same olive oil, salt, and black pepper prep. Smoked it at 225, wrapped at 165ish, and took it to 200, then rested in a cooler for an hour or two. If I do this again, which I likely will, I will pull it off at 195. It came out slightly on the dry side, but it's still a winner in my book.
Wow! That is a thing of beauty! I’m so glad you tried it too and liked the results, looks amazing from here! Now I really know I’m not crazy!!! Great work!

Reactions: DougE
Wow! That is a thing of beauty! I’m so glad you tried it too and liked the results, looks amazing from here! Now I really know I’m not crazy!!! Great work!
Thanks. You started this and I just came along for the ride. Glad I did, too, since TT really cooks up nice this way.

Sadly this was about the last of my home grown beef. I think I have 2 or 3 pounds of stew meat left in the freezer, and that's it. I had a lame bull calf that was about the right size to turn into beef that me and my buddy were going to split, but all the processors anywhere around here are booked into next year. I ended up selling him at the stock yards and got a whopping 30 cents a pound :emoji_frowning2:.

Last edited:
Looks, great. I always thought to do a brisket style tri-tip it had to be untrimmed? Too bad I just smoked both my tri-tips to 110 and froze for later use. Anyway at $12.99/lb for the last batch I am waiting it out to get any more.

Looks, great. I always thought to do a brisket style tri-tip it had to be untrimmed? Too bad I just smoked both my tri-tips to 110 and froze for later use. Anyway at $12.99/lb for the last batch I am waiting it out to get any more.
The one I did yesterday had the fat cap left on it by the processor I used for my last beef, but I trimmed it up myself before putting it on the smoker. I almost left it on and maybe should have. If I get another TT untrimmed like that one was, I'm going to just smoke it without trimming.

I’ve been cooking TT both ways for a long while now. We love it medium rare, but I would rather cook a TT to 195* than a brisket flat any day of the week. If we want a little brisket it’s a long cooked TT. Only brisket I’ll cook any more is a full packer.

You did an awesome job on that cook. And I know it was delicious.

Reactions: DougE and bauchjw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky