Brisket Stall Help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Justin Martinez

Original poster
Mar 18, 2019
I’m new to smoking and I have a problem smoking briskets. I own a Master Built 40” electric smoker. I’ve done multiple pork shoulders, ribs, and chicken/turkey legs and they’ve all came out amazing. However, I’ve tried briskets twice and I’ve ran into the same problem.

The first time I smoked a 8lb brisket at 225. The temps steadily kept rising until about 165 and then it stalled (which I was expecting). I decided not to wrap it and just wait out the stall but it stayed around the same temp for 10 hours. During that time I also moved my probe around and checked it with an instant read thermometer. I ended up throwing it in the oven at 300 for about 30 minute to get the internal temp up to 200.

I was a bit discouraged with my first brisket but I decided to try it again. I bought a 12lb brisket and after the trim I’d estimate it was about 10lbs. I set my temp to 250 this time and it steadily rose in temp until about 155. This time I decided to the Texas crutch and wrap it. I double wrapped it in pink butcher paper hoping that would speed up the stall a little. However it did not. I started it at 9am, wrapped it at about 4pm when the (internal temp 155), and now it’s about 2am (the next day) and it’s only 167, and I’ve done the same thing, I did with the first brisket I did. I’ve probed different areas with an instant read thermometer and I’ve taken it out of the smoker and put it in the oven to get up to temp.

Am I doing something wrong? Is this normal? I’m fully aware that each smoker and cut of meat will cook and stall differently and I expect them too. I am also aware that you cook by internal temp not time, but I don’t think it’s normal to have a 10+ hour stall.

Are you monitoring the grate temp with an external thermometer?
Cause it sounds like your not really smoking at the temps you think you are.
I have a feeling that your controller is off & your smoking at a much lower temp than you think you are.
I would get a good dual probe therm, or at least a $5 oven therm, to see if your controller is accurate.
Al

Reactions: fivetricks
I'm smoking a 6lb brisket at 225, mine stalled at 140 IT. Raised cooking temp to 250 to get the IT rising again. Once I get to 160 IT, I plan to wrap on foil and finish on the smoker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky