Brisket stall at 110 degrees?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jstylzz

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 17, 2013
Salt Lake City, UT
I'm smoking my second brisket today. Put it on about midnight and watched the temp rise normally for a couple of hours then went to bed. According get to my leave-in thermometer it got to 110 about three hours ago and plateaued. It's now at 114...checked it with my Thermapen and that's correct. I'm cooking in my ME40 and had it at 245 degrees. I just cranked it to 275 to see if I could stimulate it. I thought the stall was at about 150; I know every piece of meat is different but has anyone seen it this low?

No. That is unusually low.... Strange, you are changing physics lol. Can't argue with what you see with your own eyes tho. I would've said your thermometer isn't working but you double checked that. I'll be curious to see if you hit the stall in the normal range too.

I injected it with beef broth but that shouldn't affect it right? It was behaving fine for the first couple of hours and started to get wonky when I fell asleep. This has got to affect the stall time too...all that extra cook time should theoretically shorten it I would think. I will probably foil it if I can get it to 150.

An hour after I bumped the temp in the smoker up and it's now climbing again at a similar rate that it was last night. Got it to 122 now. I'm curious to see what happens when it gets to the stall zone.

Something is waaaaay off.  Your brisket should be well beyond this point 12 hours in, even if it was frozen when you started.   How are you measuring chamber temp ?

That's what I'm thinking too! How big and thick is this brisket? Maybe if it's a monster packers cut....

That's what I'm thinking too! How big and thick is this brisket? Maybe if it's a monster packers cut....
It would have to be some stupidly sized dino brisket.   When I cook PR's, they are 5 inches thick and they go from 40-140 in around 5 hours at 225 degrees.   The therm on the MES has to be off significantly.  While the set temp was 245, my best estimation is that the chamber temp was probably down under 200 degrees.

Sorry...I completely forgot to follow up on this.  I finally pulled the brisket after it had been in the smoker for 10+ hours and hadn't cracked 140 IT.  I wrapped it and put it in the oven and the temp shot up and it finished on time for a rest and the brisket went great.  I checked the temp of the grates with my Thermapen (not an exact reading, I know) and it was only like 140 degrees.  So I think it's an issue with the thermostat on my ME40 or maybe the heating element.  I talked to them and they are sending me a replacement part now.  At least I now know why it wasn't coming up to temp!

Is that safe to eat? I thought meat needed to reach temp to 140 in four hours to kill the bacteria?

Is that safe to eat? I thought meat needed to reach temp to 140 in four hours to kill the bacteria?
You'll get differences of opinion on that question Tim.   It's my understanding/belief that 40-140 does not apply the same way to intact pieces of meat.  The reasoning is that the bacteria would only be on the surface of the meat and the exposure to the chamber temps will kill it pretty quickly, depending on how hot the chamber is.    By that I mean that the sterilization is a combination of temperature and time.   Just making up numbers as an example, because I'm too lazy to find the actual charts right now, but say that in a 200 degree oven, the bacteria will be killed instantly.  At 180, it would take 3 mins.  At 160 it might take 10 mins.  At 140, it might take 30 mins. 

An inverse way to picture this is to think about walking out in the cold without a jacket or coat.  If it's 40 degrees outside, you could probably stand it for 20 mins.  If it's 20 degrees, you might last 10 mins.   If it's 0 degrees, you might last 2 mins, etc, etc. etc.

You'll get differences of opinion on that question Tim.   It's my understanding/belief that 40-140 does not apply the same way to intact pieces of meat.  The reasoning is that the bacteria would only be on the surface of the meat and the exposure to the chamber temps will kill it pretty quickly, depending on how hot the chamber is.    By that I mean that the sterilization is a combination of temperature and time.   Just making up numbers as an example, because I'm too lazy to find the actual charts right now, but say that in a 200 degree oven, the bacteria will be killed instantly.  At 180, it would take 3 mins.  At 160 it might take 10 mins.  At 140, it might take 30 mins. 

An inverse way to picture this is to think about walking out in the cold without a jacket or coat.  If it's 40 degrees outside, you could probably stand it for 20 mins.  If it's 20 degrees, you might last 10 mins.   If it's 0 degrees, you might last 2 mins, etc, etc. etc.
 The post said the brisket was injected with beef broth, so that needed to be considered too. Not the same as intact whole muscle.

Chuck.

Reactions: demosthenes9
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky