Brisket sale!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinVOLfan

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 27, 2018
Knoxville, TN
If anyone has Kroger's in their area they have choice packers for $1.99 lb this week and BOGO on back ribs. At least in East TN anyways.

Last time I talked to the meat department clerk he said they only run that price on brisket 1 week out of the year and he never knows which week until its getting close.

Anyways just wanted to throw that out there in case it helps anyone out. Hard to beat $1.99 lb

Reactions: zwiller
Its probably regional if I had to guess. I told an uncle that lives in GA and where he was they didn't have the same sale

Kroger's is running the same sale this week. $1.99 lb for choice. Im running out of freezer room but that's too good to pass up. Anyone got any advice for grinding them for burgers?

does kroger own harris teeter? i did a kroger store search for my area, and it listed the closest harris teeter instead.

does kroger own harris teeter? i did a kroger store search for my area, and it listed the closest harris teeter instead.

I think they do own Harris Teeter if I remember correctly. Might check with your local one and see if they are running the same sale by chance

I just texted my butcher at Krogers in Alabama and they are selling it at 1.99 until they are gone! Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to try and get them to hold one for me.

Nice! Last time I talked to one of the meat clerks at Kroger's he said they normally only run them that low once a year and its near father's day but this is the second time within a couple months. Must have in influx of beef!

Reactions: banderson7474
Nice! Last time I talked to one of the meat clerks at Kroger's he said they normally only run them that low once a year and its near father's day but this is the second time within a couple months. Must have in influx of beef!

I asked that same butcher about grinding a brisket for me last week. I don't have a grinder so I was curious how much better that would taste vs regular hamburger. I might see what they charge today to grind it and if it's not too bad, i'm going to pull the trigger. I'm going to get a full one to smoke too. I actually have never smoked a full brisket, only flats which I've pretty much failed.

I asked that same butcher about grinding a brisket for me last week. I don't have a grinder so I was curious how much better that would taste vs regular hamburger. I might see what they charge today to grind it and if it's not too bad, i'm going to pull the trigger. I'm going to get a full one to smoke too. I actually have never smoked a full brisket, only flats which I've pretty much failed.

Be curious to see what they charge you. I just bought a grinder attachment for the kitchenaid mixer. Have no experience grinding whatsoever so will see how it goes this weekend

Nothing showing in my ad but could be an in-store thing.

Santa bought me a $20 plastic grinder last year and it works surprisingly well. Took maybe 10m to grind 8lb of pork butt for sausage. I took Marianski's advice to spend big on a stuffer and little on the grinder. I would only consider moving to a motorized unit if I was doing much larger batches. Brisket is well known to be good for burgers. Many say 50/50 brisket/chuck is the cat's meow. There are some that go to even farther extremes. https://aht.seriouseats.com/2009/10...ger-blend-profiles-of-eight-cuts-of-beef.html

Reactions: banderson7474
Nothing showing in my ad but could be an in-store thing.

Santa bought me a $20 plastic grinder last year and it works surprisingly well. Took maybe 10m to grind 8lb of pork butt for sausage. I took Marianski's advice to spend big on a stuffer and little on the grinder. I would only consider moving to a motorized unit if I was doing much larger batches. Brisket is well known to be good for burgers. Many say 50/50 brisket/chuck is the cat's meow. There are some that go to even farther extremes. https://aht.seriouseats.com/2009/10...ger-blend-profiles-of-eight-cuts-of-beef.html

Thanks for the link. Great read. I'm new to the whole grinding experience so should be fun to play around with some stuff

Post your results. I don't really think simply grinding your own makes a better burger per se. There are some that say it absolutely does. Different cuts I can see would make an impact. That being said, we buy fresh ground chuck and not the mystery meat tubes etc.

^^^^^ yeah, that!
I can honestly say, we are now "ruined". That packaged ground beef is tasteless textureless and has a mouthfeel that we just cant take anymore. We will be forever grinding our own. I know what's in it, and I'm not afraid of a little pink in my patty! In fact nowadays, I am just as satisfied with a (couple) ground brisket burger patties as I am with a steak!

5255AD11-47A3-49EC-9F5B-ADAC41A349C5.jpeg

Bam! Picked up 2

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky