brisket question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

irwinwd

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 16, 2007
Elizabethtown, Pa
I'm doing my first brisket tomorrow. It's about 7 lb and is going in with 7.5 lbs of beef ribs. It is preped and ready to go, the fat has been trimmed per the directions I found on the site, and it's I just put the rub on before covering with plastic wrap. I'm going to be running 2 thermometers, 1 ribs, 1 brisket and will cook to a temp, but can I get a good guess on a time from folks. I really want to eat it for dinner, and I want to get it on early enough.

This is the second use of my smoker btw, so sorry if this has been beat to death on this site, I didn't find time and weight in a post. I hear people talking about all nighters, and it's got me a little worried. I would prefer to pull it, so I'm shooting for 190.

I agree with Up In Smoke, you should start by at least 5 am, 4:30 might be better. You are looking at approx 10.5 hrs if all goes as it should, plus you want to allow time for the brisket to rest before slicing. Good Luck to you irwinwd. Let us know how it comes out, bring pics if you have em.

Keep Smokin

I smoked an 8 lb. flat last weekend. I started it about 6:30 am. I pulled it from the smoker at about 5:00 pm. It will stay hot left in a cooler wrapped in towels or blankets for hours. It's better to pull it out of a cooler than have everyone staring at you wondering where dinner is.

irwin-the time guide is 1 1/2 hours per pound. Bear in mind that this is a best case scenario. The 1 1/2 hours per pound doesn't take into consideration the plateau that large muscle mass meats such as briskets and pork butts go through. It is a natural occurrence and it is something that should not be rushed (such as turning up the heat). Just sit it out and let the heat do it's thing so sit back and enjoy an adult libation if you so desire.

Thanks again all. I woke up at 5 and had everything on by 5:30. Everythihng is holding fast about 150F at 9:30. It's looking real good now. I just flipped and mopped it.

Well, the beef ribs came of at 1pm and 185 degrees. My wife raved about them all through lunch. We have enough for 1 more meal. The brisket is approaching 170, so soon time to wrap that. I hope it's as good as the ribs were. Here's a pic of the leftover ribs.

Looks Great irwinwd, smokers are your friend. Hope the brisket comes out for ya too. Thanks for the pics

Keep Smokin

Irwinwd

Nice looking ribs..glad they came out ok for ya...and you're going to do just fine with that brisket...

Later
Richard

irwin, those ribs look great!! I have pork and beef ribs going as we speak. Looking forward to pics of your brisket!

Oh Yeah! :shock: Now weâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]re Talkinâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]!
wink.gif

:idea: Now if I get on the PA Turnpike and go east, 220 miles (3.5 hours) I should be there in plenty of time (Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll bring the horseradish sauce, yeah, thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s the ticket) :roll:

Well, the fun is all over, or just beginning, we have plenty of left for this week. Thanks again for all the tips. My wife and I loved everything I made today! I don't think it will be hard to convince either of us to do this again soon.

Fantastic Irwin! That looks mighty sweet! With brisket like that you won't find the next one as hard to do! Every smoke gets sweeter!

Debi

I serve it without the sauce, but when I make my sandwich I like to mix sauce in with it. I also like to chop mine up a little bit finer than irwinwd's picture shows. Seems a little less stringy to me.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky