Brisket Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

davetx78

Original poster
May 25, 2013
Houston, TX
I smoked my first brisket last weekend. Brisket was just shy of 8 lbs. I smoked it for around 13 hours at 225 and pulled it when the IT reached 190. The flat portion of the brisket was very tender but the point seemed tough. Did I do something wrong? Should I inject the point next time? It wasn't a big deal since I served the flat and the next day I chopped the point up put it in a slow cooker with some BBQ sauce and made sandwiches.

Hello and welcome.  Davetx78 you shame me as I have told these folks ALL Tx. boys can cook brisket!   If ya can't run with the big dogs get on the porch with the puppies!
th_HaHAAHaa.gif
Nah.  Just pullin yer leg.  Can be a common problem.  Where did you have your meat therm??  In the thick point?  In some serious fatty portion??  The fat will reach heat faster.  Don't remember which member posted it but the toothpick test for doneness seems to me a good idea.  Poke a toothpick into different areas of the brisket to see if it goes in and out easily.  I assume this was a packer brisket from the size.  They can be troublesome as the silly thing can tend to get done at different times if that makes sense.  the meat grain runs different directions and the thickness varies.  The good thing you didn't say is that it was dry.  Try that toothpick thing next time.  Just my 2 cents.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Once the flat reaches 190 degrees, it is ready for slicing after a rest. At this time separate the point and prepare to make burnt ends with it ! The point was tough because it was not yet done. It is a thicker piece.  BTW, where is the Q-view??

Mike

I don't seem to have that problem...

Myt points fallof sometimes when moving them. I can use my hand to sever the point when done, and it is still juicy.

and is always juicy. I don't wrap in foil, I just don't peek at it enery hour or so, feed the FB and keep on Smoking til the Temp. you want it at  is at hand...

Here's where my Matra comes in . . .

Once the flat reaches 190 degrees, it is ready for slicing after a rest. At this time separate the point and prepare to make burnt ends with it ! The point was tough because it was not yet done. It is a thicker piece.  BTW, where is the Q-view??

Mike
Mike is correct about the point not being done, as far as IT, I cook most of mine to well over 205 and they slice just fine (cooking at home or for comps), however I rarely use IT as a barometer for doneness anyway, I use the toothpick test.  The point will typically take at least another 2 hours, sometimes 4 before it is cooked and tender.  The higher amount of fat in the point section makes for not only some of the best sliced meat you'll ever eat, but it also requires a bit more cooking or at the very least higher temps, hence the reason to place the brisket on your smoker with the point end facing the firebox or the hotter are aof your pit.  Never, ever, place your temp probe in the point of a brisket, with the fat content, you'll never get a correct reading of IT.  The point is also toothpick tender way before the flat, but trust me, it's not done. 

I have started doing most of my briskets this way, I completely separate the point and flat sections, allowing me to cover more of the meats surface with more rub, exposing more meat to the heat, speeding up cooking and building more delish bark all over.  If I cook the brisket as a whole, I do as SoMs stated, separate the point from the flat once the flat is done and throw the point back on the smoker or in the oven to finish it off.

Cooked this way, you will end up with slices from the point looking like this:

Better than a ribeye as far as I'm concerned.  Of course I'm a Texas boy and brisket is king!  When I do my briskets this way, I will typically smoke them both for the usual 4 hours at 250, but when I wrap, I leave the flat at 250 on the bottom grate in my pit, then move the point to the upper grate to expose it to a higher temp, typically 275+.  This will help with getting both meats to finish near the same time.  All that fat needs to be rendered down to get the most succulent piece of meat you can.  I think anothe rmember here, Eric (forluvofsmoke) has a thread on cooking briskets this way if you want more info.  I ran across it after I had started doing mine this way earlier this year, good read. 

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky