Brisket point cook question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bgaviator

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 9, 2010
I have a 3.5 lb brisket point from Trader Joe’s currently on the Kamado Joe. I’ve been cooking for 4.5 hours now. I was running at 250 but have since kicked it up to 275. I have not wrapped as I wasn’t happy with the bark formation yet. I had 3 temp probes in various parts of the brisket point. Two probes were up on the top half of the point and the other on the bottom half. So the bottom part of the point, sitting on the grate of course, is already temping at around 200° and is starting to feel probe tender. The top half of the point is only at 175° currently and definitely needs a ways to go. Is there a risk of overcooking the meat that’s already probing tender that’s at the grate level while I’m waiting for the top part of the meat to get tender? How should I proceed to ensure everything gets tender yet the bottom part doesn’t overcook? Thanks.

Reactions: JLeonard
I agree with re-positioning it, or just wrap the entire thing and cook until it's where you want it. Unless you have some really thin areas on the edges of the point, it will be hard to overcook it because it's so fatty. In fact make sure none of your probes are in a fatty area or you will get a false high reading.

Base your final doneness on the feel of the meat when probing, not a temperature reading.

Well the final result turned out really well. I did end up flipping the meat over and that seemed to greatly speed up the cook for the last 20 degrees. The meat was very tender, but some of the fat maybe could have rendered more. We had some chewy bits but overall not bad. It was temping 202° everywhere and for the most part probe tender. Used Twisted Q Texas Bold rub for the first time on this and it was good. I will say this though, I just don’t think I’m a brisket fan for the most part. Much more into smoked pork.
23A7FAF5-9063-448C-8105-AFD792A8AF21.jpeg
883002A6-0D17-40B2-A345-A3FAC49E3850.jpeg
43276AB2-8661-4C47-A349-EDDEAD0BB191.jpeg

Don't give up on brisket. That looks good. It's not fully cooked though. Did you rest it? I'm a firm believer in a 2-4 hr rest in a cooler with towels. Turns those chewy parts into goodness. Nice work.

Don't give up on brisket. That looks good. It's not fully cooked though. Did you rest it? I'm a firm believer in a 2-4 hr rest in a cooler with towels. Turns those chewy parts into goodness. Nice work.
I only rested it for about 20 mins. Had to get dinner finished. I kicked up the temp on the smoker to 300° towards the end cause it was taking too long. So even though it was over 200° internal everywhere, it wasn’t done enough?

I can see it's very juicy so that's great. I can also see unrendered fat lines. Had that broken down more you would have been in brisket heaven. Don't rely on temp. Use it as a guide and go by feel. The longer rest is an important step

Well your's certainly looks good, and after a few more cooks, if you find you still don't like the point... skip trying to master the flat and by all means devote your attention to pork butt. It's a lot more economical and a better value anyways.

Before writing off brisket, something to try is to sort of trim and butterfly the knobby end making the thickness more consistent. They are easier to smoke this way.
hPEpFJT.jpg
This is the same one after cooking.
SAGNbET.jpg

I can see it's very juicy so that's great. I can also see unrendered fat lines. Had that broken down more you would have been in brisket heaven. Don't rely on temp. Use it as a guide and go by feel. The longer rest is an important step
I second long rest times.... the 20 minute rest was way too short.

Reactions: MJB05615 and TNJAKE
I love point. Fatty and meaty and forgiving.
Don't get over focused on bark as a sign of successful smoke and cook.
Bark is a creation from sugar in the rub and temperature of the exterior of the meat.
I realize you got rushed to get supper on table. Next time add a couple hours to your timeline?
TNJAKE TNJAKE and thirdeye thirdeye said it well. Get it hot and let it rest to melt the fats and collagen. Actually not much different than a pork shoulder (butt)?

So basically cut it more where the bottom and top flaps join so I can essentially lay it out flat?
Before writing off brisket, something to try is to sort of trim and butterfly the knobby end making the thickness more consistent.

Looks good from here. I also have found the longer rest and wrapped times help out a lot with the finished product. Yours still looks juicy.

So basically cut it more where the bottom and top flaps join so I can essentially lay it out flat?
Not sure what you mean about 'flaps'.... but here is a point I've trimmed some of the fat from, the side on the left is about 2.5 or 3" thicker, and kind of knobby.
WBnEydn.jpg
And here is the same point after I butterflied the thick part, which was up by the point of the boning knife. I've also trimmed some really thin areas, and rounded all the square corners because they just burn anyways. Sort of look at the cutting board for reference, the point has grown a couple of inches due to the butterflying.
4Tvdpvd.jpg

Reactions: MJB05615
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky