Brisket or Not!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jrsully77

Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
I went to the store and bought what I thought was a beef brisket but when I got home and read the label it said it was a “Pork Spare Rib Cut Brisketâ€. My question is what type of rub should I use (Brisket or Rib) and do I cook it differently than a beef brisket? It weighs 9lbs but I wasnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t sure if pork cooked faster than beef. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A what??? theres a strip of meat on the backs of spare ribs called the brisket but it is usually a small strip, cant imagine 9 lbs
confused.gif
someone will have an answer shortly... is there any fat or marbeling on or in it??

Very odd, could you post a pic I would like to see the cut of meat, maybe help to identify it. Personnally I would use your favorite pork rub.Let's know what you do!

A 9 lbs spare rib brisket, how big were the ribs!!! I never heard of anything that big. Are you sure it wasn't just the wrong lable on the meat?

Nothing like that around these parts... a picture would be helpful if you can get one...

The more i think about it, i wonder if it was mis-marked and u got a pork shoulder
confused.gif
Is there a bone in it? pics would help! Rub it down and smoke it low n slow, what ever it is it will be yummy
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

at my local grocery chain, they have what they call a pork brisket, bone in. it looks like a beef brisket, kinda. has no fat cap, but is marbled real good. i haven't tried one, but they are cheap.

It might be a pork brisket b/c on the package it says "Bone Cut Out". I'll try to take a picture of it tonight so everyone can see.

Ahhhh, mystery meat... I forgot about that cut. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Right you are! There are three slaps of ribs with the bone removed. Well, at least I know what I have and how to smoke it now. Thanks for your help everyone.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky