Brisket or Not!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jrsully77

Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
I went to the store and bought what I thought was a beef brisket but when I got home and read the label it said it was a “Pork Spare Rib Cut Brisketâ€. My question is what type of rub should I use (Brisket or Rib) and do I cook it differently than a beef brisket? It weighs 9lbs but I wasnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t sure if pork cooked faster than beef. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A what??? theres a strip of meat on the backs of spare ribs called the brisket but it is usually a small strip, cant imagine 9 lbs
confused.gif
someone will have an answer shortly... is there any fat or marbeling on or in it??

Very odd, could you post a pic I would like to see the cut of meat, maybe help to identify it. Personnally I would use your favorite pork rub.Let's know what you do!

A 9 lbs spare rib brisket, how big were the ribs!!! I never heard of anything that big. Are you sure it wasn't just the wrong lable on the meat?

Nothing like that around these parts... a picture would be helpful if you can get one...

The more i think about it, i wonder if it was mis-marked and u got a pork shoulder
confused.gif
Is there a bone in it? pics would help! Rub it down and smoke it low n slow, what ever it is it will be yummy
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

at my local grocery chain, they have what they call a pork brisket, bone in. it looks like a beef brisket, kinda. has no fat cap, but is marbled real good. i haven't tried one, but they are cheap.

It might be a pork brisket b/c on the package it says "Bone Cut Out". I'll try to take a picture of it tonight so everyone can see.

Ahhhh, mystery meat... I forgot about that cut. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Right you are! There are three slaps of ribs with the bone removed. Well, at least I know what I have and how to smoke it now. Thanks for your help everyone.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky