Brisket on Weber Kettle w/ SmokeEz and Pitmaster IQ

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

big lew bbq

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
SE Michigan
Brisket Smoke with Smoke EZ and Pitmaster IQ.

COOK DETAILS:

-13.5 Trimmed Packer Brisket

-Smoker temp @ 215*

-Cherry wood chunks

-Injected Brisket with Low-Sodium Beef Broth 1 hour before putting on smoker.

-Rubbed Brisket liberally. 

-2:30 PM put Brisket on Smoker(215*)

-Wrap Brisket in Foil @ an IT of 160*

-Pull Wrapped Brisket off smoker when IT reaches 203*

-Place wrapped Brisket in Blanket/towels and let rest in cooler for 2 hrs.

Ready for Injection, Always inject with the grain, if you don't you will end up with track marks in your sliced meat.

Rubbed the Brisket.

Ready for the Smoker.

Here are a few pics on my charcoal set up with my Smoke EZ fire ring and water bowl.

I use a quarter piece of a kiln brick to act like a fire barrier for the snake setup, this way the charcoal only burns in one direction and does light on both ends of the snake.

Water bowl set in the middle of the fire ring and ready to be filled with hot water.

This is the bottom rack that sits right above the charcoal ring, I have placed some kiln bricks in a circle shape to act as a heat diffuser and it helps maintain even temp.

I have modified my Smoke EZ so I can have thee grate levels, the Brisket will sit on on very top rack so on the second level I have two more water/drip pans right underneath the brisket.

Filling the Water/Drip pans with hot water.

Little Thin Blue Smoke! Ready for the Brisket.

Brisket rested for 1 hour with injection and then rub.

Brisket on Smoker @ 2:30

Smoker Temp @ 215

3 hours into Smoke.

Brisket IT @ 130.

Smoker Temp @ 217, holding steady.

LOW AND SLOW, so I am prepared for 20+ hr smoke.

MORE Q-VIEW to follow.

Last edited:
Big Lew BBQ,

Some things I noticed.  Assuming your smoker is relatively air tight, you should be able to control your burn rate and temperature with the IQ-120 and the minion method.  Snake plus IQ-120 is likely overkill.  Also, because you are injecting your air straight from the bottom, as hot ash accumulates, you may melt the plastic barb connector, which links the flex hose to the metal bowl. 

Alternate solution: At the brick level put a drip pan under the meat (to prevent flare-ups, and to save the drippings for other uses).  Skip the snake method, and let the IQ-120 earn it's keep.  I use an IQ-120, and it can keep my smoker as low as 150 degrees with the minion method.  Purchase a metal barbed connector (it won't melt), Ace hardware carries them, as does E-Bay. 

Sounds like a good plan , now if I could talk you out of the 'foil' step . RE: IMHO , opening the lid slows the process .  You get a far superior 'Bark' also.
drool.gif

This was left in @ 225*F for 20 hrs. was 10.75lbs. and took 5 hrs of stall...

out tender , the Point fell off in moving it from the smoker,

See how that cap melted down
icon_question.gif

Take care , have fun and . . .

I will always foil I have perfected my brisket smoking process to my liking, opening the lid for 30secs to wrap the brisket is not going to affect the time or finished product. There are a million ways people smoke brisket on this forum and other sites therefor it's personal preference.

I could say the same thing to you, if you would only cook the brisket at a different temp it would turn out better? But chances are that's the temp you like to smoke your brisket at.

So I will stick to my way and you have yours that's why America is great we all have the freedom to smoke briskets any way we want as long as you like the finished product I say more power to you.

Last edited:
The Snake method with my Pitmaster IQ 110, works great holds perfect temps, so why mess with perfection?
I have three drip pans in the smoker.
Thanks for the metal connector suggestion, on my way to Ace in a few.

Last edited:
It is the Pitmaster IQ 110.
I have been using the Pitmaster IQ 110 on my Weber for a few years and It works really well. Set it going and just forget the smoker - the temperature looks after itself.

I want one of those Smoke EZs though. The trouble is to get them here in the UK they cost $200 to buy - but a further $500 to have shipped. It would be cheaper for me to just go out and buy a WSM.

Great looking brisket Lew 
icon14.gif

Reactions: big lew bbq
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky