Brisket on the Masterbuilt Gasser

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rexster314

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 7, 2012
Texas Gulf Coast
18 pound brisket on the 40" Masterbuilt gasser. Charcoal briquets in the iron skillet method with pecan smoke. Seasoned only with salt and pepper the night before.
8 hours total, 3 with smoke, then wrapped in pink butcher paper the remainder. Nice smoke ring and bark.
2019-02-17 14.56.38.jpg

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
18 pound brisket on the 40" Masterbuilt gasser. Charcoal briquets in the iron skillet method with pecan smoke. Seasoned only with salt and pepper the night before.
8 hours total, 3 with smoke, then wrapped in pink butcher paper the remainder. Nice smoke ring and bark.
View attachment 388346

If you don't mind me asking, how did you get it done that quick? I've done 8# butts that took that long in my ok joe.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you get it done that quick? I've done 8# butts that took that long in my ok joe.

Not sure I can successfully answer your question. I maintain a temp between 240 and 260 with 250 my target temp. With the extra heat generated by the briquettes and wood chunks, that's about the best I've ever been able to do. I notice when the temp gets down to 240, I will add more wood chunks and that will bring up the temp again. When I wrap the meat, I have it a little easier, since it's just the gas burner supplying heat; more manageable. When I use my pipe smoker, it's always a 10 hour or better cook. But the results are pretty much the same

Reactions: banderson7474
Hmm the only thing I can think of is you have it wrapped longer. I re-read and you said you wrap after 3hrs of smoke, so you are not waiting until the norm of 165-ish.

Do you keep a temp gauge in the meat by chance?

Looks amazing!! 18 lbs is a big brisket; hope your were hungry.

On another note, nice selection of cookers you have there.

It's just the two of us, but we'll have a feast on the day of the cook, then I'll separate the point from the flat and vacuum seal them. Point cut is used for bbq baked potatoes, chop beef sammiches and the like. Flat is cut up into several blocks of meat, and will come out when we're hungry for Q but don't want to fire up a smoker. We've eaten brisket 2 years old, that was properly sealed, that tasted just out of the smoker. Thanks for noticing my toys in the sig

Hmm the only thing I can think of is you have it wrapped longer. I re-read and you said you wrap after 3hrs of smoke, so you are not waiting until the norm of 165-ish.
Do you keep a temp gauge in the meat by chance?

I go by color of the meat. If it's getting a good bark after 3 hours I'll wrap it. Sometimes I've done it after 5 hours. I keep a Thermoworks "Smoke" probe in the meat from beginning of cook to end of cook. Only time I'll remove it is to wrap the meat, then back in it goes in the same area of the meat. If I don't wrap when I think I need to, the meat always goes bitter on me due to too much smoke. Plus, I get more drippings wrapping earlier.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky