Brisket in Kamodo?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indynick

Original poster
Aug 3, 2017
So I purchased a pit boss kamodo a few months back. I use the crap out of it for grilling but have not yet used it for smoking. For that I still use my vertical charcoal which is a champ. I’d love to try a brisket in it but it just seems to cook really hot. Wondering other experience with long and low cooks in the kamodo cookers?

So I purchased a pit boss kamodo a few months back. I use the crap out of it for grilling but have not yet used it for smoking. For that I still use my vertical charcoal which is a champ. I’d love to try a brisket in it but it just seems to cook really hot. Wondering other experience with long and low cooks in the kamodo cookers?
I have a Kamado Joe, big joe. I’ve used it for over two years. And living in AZ, I use it a lot all year around. By playing with bottom and top vents, I find that I can keep it going at 225 to 230 for a least 10 hours. Never need more but have confidence I could.

I light 10 briquettes in the charcoal chimney and dump in the center but have 15-20 unlit around the lit and have them touch the lit but not on top of them. I'll put a small wood chunk on the hot coals and straddle a couple over the lit and unlit. Then assemble everything quickly and shut the lid with top and bottom vents cracked 1/2". I stack everything backwards so I have a plan to assemble quickly so the heat can't build too fast.

I also have a KJ Big Joe and I have smoked many briskets on it. The secret with smoking at low temps in a Kamado type grill is to start a very small fire initially. I completely fill the bottom and only start a fire with one fire starter cube in the very center. Let your temps come up to about 200° with your vents fully open and then shut them to about 1/4 inch. Let the temps stabilize in the 225°-250° and make very small vent corrections, waiting about 10 minutes to let the temp settle after a vent change, to keep the temp where you want it. I have run my BJ for 15hrs using this procedure and still had lump left.

In the Link below, Harry Soo has a you tube video showing a hot and fast brisket on a Kamado

Retfr8 post above is pretty much spot on.
Just remember not to open your lid to much or you will have temperature spikes.

Have a Primo Oval. I fill in to the max,add chips, put indirect heat plates in and go to town. I light fire in one spot with a map torch and let it go full bore until around 200 as well. Quarter in or less on bottom vent and maybe less on top. It will settle in around 250 to 275 and just stay rock solid from there. Dont peak, it will be fine.

"Long and low"?
Do you mean like this?
1581932081629.png

Sorry I couldn't resist.:emoji_laughing:

• Haha
Reactions: Glock9x19
Don't worry about hitting 225F with a budget kamado that may be a bit leaky and want to run higher. Aaron Franklin does his briskets at 285F. If you can stay between 250F and 300F you'll be fine.

You can also get a temp controller, I developed one for my Kamado, at I can get 20hrs of 225 on a full load of lump. You will have to stir every 8 hours to get the ash out but it can be done. I do briskets all the time on it and they turn out awesome.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky