brisket in big trouble ???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pineview bbq

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
Central Illinois
I started a 15lb brisket this morning about 6:30am on my UDS . I injected with beef broth and left in fridge in plastic wrap last night. It has now been 8/12 hours with temps at 250 , I wrapped in butcher paper at 1:30 pm and its now 3:30 pm internal temp is 138 is this garbage?

I started a 15lb brisket this morning about 6:30am on my UDS . I injected with beef broth and left in fridge in plastic wrap last night. It has now been 8/12 hours with temps at 250 , I wrapped in butcher paper at 1:30 pm and its now 3:30 pm internal temp is 138 is this garbage?
Not necessarily. That's a big piece of meat...

I'm not positive but you may want to consider throwing it out.  I believe when you injected it you contaminated the meat.  If you dont get to 140 in 4 hours it can be bad.  Im not an expert so you should look into that before you eat it.

I hear lots of general consensus that AVERAGE for brisket is around 1.5 hours at around 250ish. Looks like you're right on track according if you were to go by those measurements

I will give the facts, you use your judgement...I would finish the cook at 325 more broth or water, covered and in the oven, for a fast finish. I would not sweat the 4 hour rule unless your guest are very old and sickly, under 3 or have a week immune system. Any really nasty bugs will be killed along with the worst toxins at temps above 185...There is some risk. But out of 10 hours, some were spent cold, no growth, and several were spent over 120 with anything there not growing or dying. A healthy adults immune system goes a long way toward protecting us. You likely ingest more bacteria eating a sandwich after handling the TV remote....JJ

Reactions: geezer
I'm just going to go the the rest of the cook at 300 and see what happens. The wife and kid on the other hand are going for pizza.
Hey, brother. This happens to everyone sooner or later. 
smile.gif

Yeah, the family unit needs to eat, but I personally think your brisket will be fine, if you simply finish your cook. 

Like I said I'm not an expert.  But if his 90 year old grandmother was there apparently it could be bad.
I will give the facts, you use your judgement...I would finish the cook at 325 more broth or water, covered and in the oven, for a fast finish. I would not sweat the 4 hour rule unless your guest are very old and sickly, under 3 or have a week immune system. Any really nasty bugs will be killed along with the worst toxins at temps above 185...There is some risk. But out of 10 hours, some were spent cold, no growth, and several were spent over 120 with anything there not growing or dying. A healthy adults immune system goes a long way toward protecting us. You likely ingest more bacteria eating a sandwich after handling the TV remote....JJ

Like I said I'm not an expert.  But if his 90 year old grandmother was there apparently it could be bad.

Just like Babies can't eat Honey and the very Elderly should avoid Runny Eggs, Salad Bars and meat cooked to an IT less than 165, there is an at risk group that needs to exercise caution. For a healthy adult this brisket will be fine to eat...JJ

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky