BRISKET FOR SUNDAY

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks again everyone, I enjoy all smoked meats, but I'm partial to Briskets

Gary

Super One usually just has Full packers in Select, But sometimes you run across a deal like I found.
The only Prime Brisket I ever bought was at Sams marked as Choice. Even a Blind Hog finds an acorn every once in a while.

Gary

Reactions: Mastercaster
Brisket 12-15-19

I had been in the mood for a good Brisket all week, so yesterday I went to the store to see what they had. There were 3 , 20+ pounders out in the case so I asked the Butcher to bring some more out, not as big. I started looking through them and found a good one. Sometimes you just get lucky.

It was labeled and priced as “Select” but looking at the Cryovac Package it was Stamped Choice. So, a double win for me.

I know I have posted my Smoking process before, but it has been a while, and we probably have some newbies.

So here it is again.

First thing, keep it simple, don’t over think it. It’s just a hunk of meat.

OK,

5:30 AM Turn on Coffee Maker, Pull Brisket out of Fridge and Fire up Smoker. I start with some charcoal then light it up with my Weed Burner, I go over my grates and heat up the inside to speed things up, throw on a couple of splits of pecan, then back inside.

Trimmed up the Brisket, seasoned it up let it rest while smoker comes up to temp.

6:00 AM Put Brisket on, smoker running right at 225° .

About every hour or so I throw on another split.

I don’t ever open my smoker to look, I did once today to take a pic and to put on a pork tenderloin and a rump roast my neighbor brought over to smoke.

Pork Tenderloin was ready about noon, didn’t take it long, pulled it off and put on my Beans. I always give my beans a few hours on the smoker.

Around 4:00 PM Rump Roast was ready

5:00 PM Brisket was ready.

A few things I “Don’t” Do

I never worry about the stall, it’s gunna happen so just don’t sweat it. I “Don’t” use a probe to tell me the IT and worry about how long it has been in the stall mode”, I Don’t mess with it at all. Just let it cook. I have smoked so many Briskets and really know my smoker I Don’t check the temp till I Feel its about ready, and Honestly I don’t know why I even do that, I can tell by feel, But that’s takes a long time to get to that point. So, by all means use what ever is comfortably or work for you.

Here are some Pics:

Package marked Choice
View attachment 424181

Whole Brisket
View attachment 424183

You can see how the Store Marked it
View attachment 424185

Seasoned up and Resting
View attachment 424186View attachment 424187

Smoker about Ready
View attachment 424188

OK, this is where I opened it after 2 Hours
View attachment 424189

Here is a shot of the Beans, Rump Roast and Brisket. I had already pulled the Pork Tenderloin, Sorry, no Pics of it.
View attachment 424190

After 6 Hours I pulled it to Wrap
View attachment 424191

Ready to Wrap in Butcher paper
View attachment 424192

Rump Roast Ready, you can see where I took a little sample, MMMMmmmm good
View attachment 424193

Brisket comming off next
View attachment 424194

Opened it up to take a peak. (I did let it rest for about 15 -20 min)
View attachment 424195

Super Tender I could have probably pulled it a little earlier for me. Really good flavor
View attachment 424196View attachment 424197View attachment 424198

Had to do some Chopped
View attachment 424199

My Plate, Good ole sandwich, Beans and Tater Salad
View attachment 424200

Thanks for the Look

Gary
Looks awesome! The butcher paper makes a lot of difference. Thanks for the step by steps.
I made a Prime one purchased from Sam's recently, and didn't like it as much as the Choice I usually get.

I have bought Select which had a lot of marbling that were fantastic.

Gary

I have bought Select which had a lot of marbling that were fantastic.

Gary
Yes. I've found the lower priced like that or Choice which we have here in Greater Atlanta have more marbling and much more juicier. The Prime one I made was dry, I first thought I over cooked it.

Been Eating Brisket all week, Can't get my fill !!!

Gary

Reactions: MJB05615
Excellent looking brisket Gary, I went to the local grocer the other day to get a couple of rib roasts that were on sale, and they had a couple of packers in the meat display. 7.99/lb I walked away.

Point for sure
Chris

Put a brisket on this morning . Just stopping by for a refresher course . Trying to decide if I want to wrap or not .

I always wrap once IT hits 165-170. I use Pink Butcher paper as it helps create an excellent bark on me MES 40. Then of course as it gets to 195-200 IT, I start probing for correct tenderness, etc.

Mike

Yeah , I have used pink paper on all I've done so far . 2 were fantastic , one was no good , and one was ok . I'm shooting for fantastic . Lol. Like to get some more smoke on it , it's right at 160 now .

What are you smoking on? I use the AMNPS tube with pellets inside the MEW, and the side slow smoke attachment as well in order to get as much smoke to penetrate as possible for Briskets. I also let the smoke keep rolling after I wrap it, I feel that some smoke still penetrates the paper.
For years I couldn't get any decent bark on the MES, once I started using the Butcher Paper, everything changed tremendously. I do about 4-6 Briskets a year, and thet're pretty consistently good. About 2 years ago 1 came out the best ever by a long way. I don't know why or how since I always do them the exact same way from prep, time in fridge, etc. Been trying to duplicate that one the last 2 years. Maybe the spices in the rub were fresher, or the wood chips were, I'll never know.

Mike

Started with Hickory? Now mesquite? Not a bad combination, plus I think the meat takes on much more smoke when cold, and less as the IT increases. So you'll most likely be tasting the first wood flavor more. Either way I'm sure it'll taste good.

Mike

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky