Brisket Flat Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokingwxman

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 30, 2016
So I bought a couple of small brisket flats, about 3 pounds a piece. Planning on smoking them this Sunday but am really not sure what to expect time wise. Figured since they were so small they shouldn't take too long but being a brisket, I'm very unsure and want to allow plenty of time. Any thoughts?

Time will depend on what temp your smoking them at. Also remember the smaller ones are often the more difficult ones to get right.

Chris

I'm hoping to go low, shooting for around 225-230. This is my first time doing just a flat. Going to put them in pans with some broth in the bottom and see what happens. Wish me luck.

At 225* I would say about 5 to 6 hrs. Definitely foil with the broth. They dry out easily. Also keep a close eye on your temps. and probe for tenderness after 195*.

Chris

Reactions: smokingwxman
That is a real good idea, putting them in pans.
It makes your chance of success go up considerably.
For liquid, I like to use French onion soup & I put the brisket right in the soup.
Good luck!
Al

Reactions: pete mazz
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky