Brisket Drippings Gelatin for Brown sauce, Demi-Glace, Gravy or ???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

adiochiro3

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 19, 2010
Bay Area, CA
I love this site, b/c I can get typically a simple answer quickly.  I dropped "brisket drippings" into the search tool, and wound up with a great bunch of ideas on what to do with last week's captured smokey liquid love.  The ice cube tray idea is great, but wouldn't work for my application without re-heating.

The drippings went into the fridge to separate fat & juice/gelatin as it cooled.  Wound up with a cup of gelatin-type product out of a 17+ lb. brisket.  I tossed out the puck of fat that floated to the top.  I sliced the gelatin into 4 pieces (1/4 cup each) for future culinary applications.  Here's what I got:

3fee87a0_IMG_2076.jpg

Looks like fudge, smells like smoked beef!!!!  Beef Fudge!!!!!

50f56acb_IMG_2077.jpg

All ready for the freezer.  Any thoughts?  What do y'all suggest?  Momma already has designs on gravy and maybe a port wine sauce around the holidays (if they last that long).  Might have to do another brisket before then...

Last edited:
I love this site, b/c I can get typically a simple answer quickly.  I dropped "brisket drippings" into the search tool, and wound up with a great bunch of ideas on what to do with last week's captured smokey liquid love.  The ice cube tray idea is great, but wouldn't work for my application without re-heating.

The drippings went into the fridge to separate fat & juice/gelatin as it cooled.  Wound up with a cup of gelatin-type product out of a 17+ lb. brisket.  I tossed out the puck of fat that floated to the top.  I sliced the gelatin into 4 pieces (1/4 cup each) for future culinary applications.  Here's what I got:

Looks like fudge, smells like smoked beef!!!!  Beef Fudge!!!!!

All ready for the freezer.  Any thoughts?  What do y'all suggest?  Momma already has designs on gravy and maybe a port wine sauce around the holidays (if they last that long).  Might have to do another brisket before then...

Maybe get some tomatoe flavored whip cream and do some layers? Can anyone say parfait?

Seriously though, I woulduse it for soup base. Would make a killer flavoring for stew!

Bigfish

Looking great James. I would maybe give it a try as a base for some great beef stew. Oh - just got a brain fart - what a great base for some onion soup. Keep us posted 

Onion soup yes!!

It also will make a great gravy for egg foo young patties, or mashed potato's.

Your choices are endless.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky