Brisket Cost per Lb - August 2017

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I just found USDA Prime Packers at Costco for $3.99/lb, which is fantastic for here in Maryland.  I usually pay around $5/lb for Choice Packers from a butcher.

I rarely buy brisket anymore, its an "over-glorified" piece of meat that isn't worth my hard earned money or time IMHO anyway. Unless I can get it real cheap
biggrin.gif
Ditto. We prefer tri itp, which has been $3.50-$4.00 per pound this summer at our local restaurant supply.

Brisket has been $2.50-$2.70 (choice) $2.80-$3.00 for angus prime this summer.

Last edited:
Pork butts at Kroger's a while back were 99¢/lb. That's about half off... I bought 8.
Smoking four up this weekend.
Two for family reunion, one for myself to pull and freeze, one for my daughter to freeze.
Got two briskets at GFS...I'll agree, it a little over hyped unless your getting prime but it's cheaper than chuck by about half right now.

Walt.

Long Island, New York. 45 minutes from the city. On sale at restaurant depot is around $3 lb for like a 20lb brisket. Local super markets where you get maybe an inch and a half thick flat cut is about $6 on sale and $9 not on sale. We are talking about maybe a 2-3lb cut. Mostly Jewish people that are not really religious buy brisket that are not into paying the kosher prices. Very large population on Long Island compared to the rest of the states

Also 45 minutes mean like 20 miles due to traffic. The cuts usually have most of the fat cap if not all cut off. Looks more like a flank steak.

Last edited:
Been wondering that myself...
I've read lots of posts about prime grade meats for really great prices at Costco...I've also read the meats are imported from Mexico (not that that matters much but from a freshness aspect it does sort of) and that they are "over graded" and that Costco "prime" isn't any better than reqular "choice"...but for $2.99/lb who cares. I cancelled my Costco and Sam's club cards due to distance but there's a newer Costco about 5 miles from me...
May have to go browse.

Walt

Last edited:
I've seen more smoking in the last few years than ever...I used to be the only guy in our little town 10 years ago, now there are several...however at least three were influenced by me.
That being said the Silver Lake Sand Dunes has an apple festival every fall and this will be about the 5th year it has hosted an official KCBA BBQ contest.
It is billed as one of the premiere KCBA events of the mid west.
I go every year and am leaving tomorrow am. to attend the event.
One of these years I'll get my stuff together well enough to enter the amature bracket.

Walt.

Last edited:
I've seen more smoking in the last few years than ever...I used to be the only guy in our little town 10 years ago, now there are several...however at least three were influenced by me.
That being said the Silver Lake Sand Dunes has an apple festival every fall and this will be about the 5th year it has hosted an official KCBA BBQ contest.
It is billed as one of the premiere KCBA events of the mid west.
I go every year and am leaving tomorrow am. to attend the event.
One of these years I'll get my stuff together well enough to enter the amature bracket.

Walt.
I have had people check all those members stores near me here downriver. The prices at Costco here seem to be higher than what people in other areas claim to be. Here in metro Detroit.. like smokenAl said his were $1.99 one day.. in his part of Florida.. I had people check here.. it was $3.69 at our costco or Wal-Mart.. it's not same everywhere

Last edited:
Yeah, of that I'm sure...
I'm more curious about the "prime" grade and availability.
The only grade I can have ever found locally is choice and after having a prime brisket at the fatty contest this year that was one of, it not the best "back yard" smoked briskets I've ever eaten I'm very interested in smoking prime grade meats.
Rock star said the only real difference in that one (which he agreed was great) and many others he or friends had smoked was the quality of the meat...
So my primary interest is "is it really prime" and is it regularly available.
The one I ate was clearly enough better in flavor to warrant even two bucks a pound more than GFS once in awhile.

Walt.

Yeah, of that I'm sure...
I'm more curious about the "prime" grade and availability.
The only grade I can have ever found locally is choice and after having a prime brisket at the fatty contest this year that was one of, it not the best "back yard" smoked briskets I've ever eaten I'm very interested in smoking prime grade meats.
Rock star said the only real difference in that one (which he agreed was great) and many others he or friends had smoked was the quality of the meat...
So my primary interest is "is it really prime" and is it regularly available.
The one I ate was clearly enough better in flavor to warrant even two bucks a pound more than GFS once in awhile.

Walt.

It always seems to be costco prime grade or Wal-Mart.. I never see prime mentioned at all at better butchers.. I'm thinking it's all about the same unless your doing business with top of the line 10% best of best suppliers... and real restaurant prime quality brisket will be more in the $6.99 a lb range they pay.

Exactly what I'm thinking...
Rock star said the one he smoked was almost a hundred bucks...
Don't remember how big it was but it wasn't a small one...if I had to guess I'd say 15lb minimum, so your $6.99/lb is right in there.
I just want a source in case I'm feeling particularly rich some weekend (or win the lotto...lol)

Walt.

Exactly what I'm thinking...
Rock star said the one he smoked was almost a hundred bucks...
Don't remember how big it was but it wasn't a small one...if I had to guess I'd say 15lb minimum, so your $6.99/lb is right in there.
I just want a source in case I'm feeling particularly rich some weekend (or win the lotto...lol)

Walt.

I heard you don't need to go 200 for those either.. they get tender sooner.

Last edited:
I'm not sure...I always judge my meat by tenderness instead of temp with those cuts anyway. Not to say I ignore IT but when they get close it's all about probing for tenderness...if it ain't tender it ain't done regardless of temp...on the other hand when it's tender it's done regardless of temperature.
I had one brisket that was perfect at 185° and some that had to go to 205 or a little more.
The one at the contest was smoked at 220° for almost 30 hours and was still oozing juice.

I'm not sure...I always judge my meat by tenderness instead of temp with those cuts anyway. Not to say I ignore IT but when they get close it's all about probing for tenderness...if it ain't tender it ain't done regardless of temp...on the other hand when it's tender it's done regardless of temperature.
I had one brisket that was perfect at 185° and some that had to go to 205 or a little more.
The one at the contest was smoked at 220° for almost 30 hours and was still oozing juice.

Prime I suggest that you may check for doneness a bit sooner than you normally would .. (is what I meant)

Last edited:
Right...after the stall I'm pretty observant. Once I hit about 170° IT I pay pretty close attention.
I've got good probe thermos, a Maverick and a couple stainless kabab skewers I use on large cuts to probe for tenderness.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky