brisket cost - help pls

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bbqchris

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Sydney, Aust (down under)
Hey all,

im waiting on the arrival of my first smoker (so excited). In the mean time im trying to source a good priced butcher for a brisket cut of meat.

It seems to be not very available from most butchers ive gone into in sydney australia, but obviously they will cut to special order. Just wondering on price though and what you guys usually pay in the states

i just got priced $9.95 AUD per kilo of brisket
(roughly equates to $8.50 US for 2.2 pounds)
(on a side note, move to the metric system please
icon_mrgreen.gif
)
- that seems abit pricey for a rough cut of meat

can someone help me with what type of price you usually pay for a big untrimmed brisket (round the 10 - 12 pound mark) wherever you may be from

Cheers

ps - also is it right i should look for a brisket cut on the bone

Chris,
Depending on sales and so on prices vary all the time.
I have been watching them for a while and they seem to be hanging between $3 to $4 (dollars) per pound.
Like I said it depends on sales. They can be found cheaper, I just need to keep a look out.
Anyway that would be close to what they are charging you.
With us to it makes a difference what part of the country we live in.

I usually pay $1.79 to $2.49 per lb. (what's metric??)
Your lookin at roughly $4.25 a lb in a area that doesn't stock brisket's.
Probably not that bad but i'd shop around a little more!

Can't help you with a source, particularly in your neck of the woods. It frosts me that what has historically been a cheap, tough, cut of meat (alot has been ground into burger over the years) ends up costing alot because it is popular with us, the BBQ crowd. I guess the argument could be made that there are only two briskets per animal, so therefore, it is rare.

Yeah, guess that the same for me Bubba. Sometimes I can't even find one. They just aren't popular around here. So when they get them they charge more for them.

G,day mate , thought i better chuck you an answer seeing as i am at least in the same country . yep briskets are hard to get because they all get corned as soon as they cut up the carcass i actualy was asking in a butcher shop in toowoomba today about getting one they told me i need to order one and they will keep it aside for me never got a price though . if you have an ANGLISS MEATS near you ( they are all over the country i think ) they should keep you one .most butchers i have asked at say they make corned meat from their briskets .i have done one in the weber and they are worth chasing . but if you are just starting out do a few pork butts first your butcher wont know what you are on about ask for pork shoulder top half without the picnic , failing that if you want to do beef IGA super markets up here in QLD have been selling beef blade roasts cheap about 4.50 kg they come up quite well in the old weber just have to be carefull not to dry them out to much , and they are only small about 2 kg each so they are good to play around with, up a bit more in price try a rolled rib roast they come out real good i get them from IGA too. see ya round.

It's true. I regularly work with picograms and microliters. What would that be in our system? Millionths of an ounce?

I bought a couple from sams last week , whole briskets, choice grade , for 1.47 a pound. Then I found a meat market in fort worth this week that has certified angus beef whole briskets for 1.99 a pound.

I guess they are cheaper in this part of the country..They go on sale prior to almost every three or four day week end at most of the grocery chains. I usually keep 2-3 in the freezer at all times. They are always less then a dollar a pound...as low as $0.57 for the select packers whole untrimmed briskets..I usually buy the 12-14lb size..Usually have a lot to pick from. Sam's always has a good non sale price ...less than $1.50lb and keep them in stock year round. I just buy at the sale prices..I really hardly ever run out...but my buddies and I can always borrow one we need one..that is one in my picture..lol

It's expensive around here. For a small flat, it's around $15 - $20 USD when I shop at Sam's club. It's one of those things though that when you want it, you'll pay whatever for it... it's that good when you get it right...

I am 41. Anybody else remember being told in grade school that we had to learn the metric system because we would be switched over in 10 years or so? The 2-liter pop(soda) bottle is about the only part of it that caught on. Got some shingles manufactured in Canada once that made my Dad grumble a lot. They were a meter long instead of 3 feet and it screwed up the starters he was cutting until he figured it out!!!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky