Brisket Burgers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
I had this 12.5 pound brisket thawed in my fridge and was all set to make some of my world famous hip shot burgers:
when the brisket I was going to grind shrank from fat removal, went from 12.5 lbs to 8!
DSCN2365.JPG
DSCN2366.JPG

Time to adjust on the fly, no more hipshot burgers, now it's just brisket burgers, grind 'em
005.jpg

weigh them out 12oz each and bag 'em
DSCN2367.JPG

Didn't need the burger press due to wanting to make them larger for my homemade buns, they aren't going to be sissy burgers, a decent load for the freezer
DSCN2368.JPG

So now I have a project for the morning! The 8.5 pound porkbutt that was destined to be part of the hipshot burgers will be turned into maple sausage pattys. Once everything is done and vac-sealed in the freezer I'll take stock of my freezer space and head to Sam's on Monday morning to fill any voids. Looks like a 14oz brisket cheeseburger done over coals on the Weber for dinner, it will not be overcooked! More to come, and thanks for lookin'! RAY

Last edited:
Briskets sure do have a lot of fat loss. I’m going to have to try brisket grind sometime. I’ll bet those are going to be good.

Reactions: sawhorseray
Nothing like ground brisket . Been using it for all my ground beef cooks . Makes great burgers . Best bet for the money . Be watching for the burgers and the sausage .

Yep. Brisket is king for burger in my opinion. Lots of flavor. Cant wait to see that 14oz burger! Thats just the right size!

Briskets sure do have a lot of fat loss. I’m going to have to try brisket grind sometime. I’ll bet those are going to be good.

I was pretty darned surprised by the huge run of thick fat right thru the middle of the brisket Jeff. Of course you'd never know if you smoked it whole and invested all that time and effort. Myself, I' could care less about brisket, I'm far more in favor of brisket on a stick, dino beef short ribs. Thank you for the Like Jeff, I am most appreciative of it! RAY

Nothing like ground brisket . Been using it for all my ground beef cooks . Makes great burgers . Best bet for the money . Be watching for the burgers and the sausage .

Thanks Rich, they really do make a great 100% beef burger, tho we'll opt for a hipshot burger every time. Thanks for the Like my friend, it is much appreciated! RAY
DSCN2369.JPG
DSCN2370.JPG

Yep. Brisket is king for burger in my opinion. Lots of flavor. Cant wait to see that 14oz burger! Thats just the right size!

Well you didn't have to wait long Travis, and I was pretty darned happy with the results. I try to keep a sharp eye when the burger is on the griddle, all brown and done like a restaurant does and the dog might as well get at it as far as I'm concerned. Thanks you for the Like Travis, it is greatly appreciated! RAY

Dang Ray, that's a fine looking batch of burgers and one beautiful cheddar burger sitting n that plate. Great job, perfectly cooked, and what's not to love about a 3/4 pound fresh ground burger? I'd be all over those buddy!!

Robert

Nice looking burgers Ray! Brisket on sale here for $2.99 lb but way too much venison burger in freezer still. But a 3/4 lb burger sounds awesome!

Ryan

Dang Ray, that's a fine looking batch of burgers and one beautiful cheddar burger sitting n that plate. Great job, perfectly cooked, and what's not to love about a 3/4 pound fresh ground burger? I'd be all over those buddy!! Robert

Thank you Robert! This worked out pretty well for having to change things up on the spot, thanks for the Like my friend, I do appreciate it. RAY

Bet they are mighty tasty,

You be winning that bet Jim, burger was delicious! Thanks for the Like, much appreciated. RAY

I agree and this one looks perfectly done!

Thanks Travis! Not that I'd go to a restaurant anymore but when I did there wasn't one who'd bring me a burger the way I wanted it cooked. I can understand their concerns, but on the other hand I've never made myself or anyone else sick from the food I've cooked. I might go out again for Chinese food someday, tho maybe not. Thanks for the Like Travis, much appreciated. RAY

Awesome looking moist burgers. Crazy here brisket cheaper then buying burger. $2.96 at Walmart for choice. Warren

It is kind of crazy Warren, this brisket was $2.49lb, tho it got a lot more expensive once most of the fat was trimmed off. Thank you for the Like Warren, I do appreciate it. RAY

Lookin good Ray! Very juicy and perfectly cooked. I bet they were delicious. Excellent work.

Thanks Mike, all this kitchen is paying off, like a little squirrel getting stocked up for winter. Thanks you for the Like Mike, it is much appreciated. RAY

Looks good. next time these are on the menu lemme know.....I'll bring the beer/wine. Jim

Thanks Jim, got to have a burger at least once a week, easy, fast, and yummy! Thanks for the Like Jim, I do appreciate it. RAY

Damn fine burger Ray! I'm going to do that if I ever find a decent deal on brisket.

Thanks Steve, straight brisket really does make for great burgers. Amazing how prices and availability differ across the country, I always bought tritip for $2.99lb in bulk when we lived in CA, here it costs twice that. Thanks for the Like Steve, I do appreciate it. RAY

Nice looking burgers Ray! Brisket on sale here for $2.99 lb but way too much venison burger in freezer still. But a 3/4 lb burger sounds awesome! Ryan

Thanks Ryan, a freezer full of venison would be a nice problem to have! The 3/4 lb all beef burgers are for me, wife only likes the hipshots, and then they have to be cooked over coals and not the flattop. Thanks for the Like Ryan, it is much appreciated. RAY

Hey man you can’t beat those brisket burgers!
And yours look fantastic!
The last ones I made I used 3 1/2 # of brisket & 1 1/2 # of pork belly. You may want to try that combo, cause it was awesome!
Al

Hey man you can’t beat those brisket burgers! And yours look fantastic! The last ones I made I used 3 1/2 # of brisket & 1 1/2 # of pork belly. You may want to try that combo, cause it was awesome! Al

Thanks Al! The link I posted to my hipshot burgers is a 60-40 beef/porkbutt combo Al, got the recipe from my dear departed friend Chuckwagon. They've been a staple in our house for almost 15 years, we love 'em. Thank you for the Like Al, much appreciated! RAY

I had this 12.5 pound brisket thawed in my fridge and was all set to make some of my world famous hip shot burgers:
when the brisket I was going to grind shrank from fat removal, went from 12.5 lbs to 8!
View attachment 467107View attachment 467108
Time to adjust on the fly, no more hipshot burgers, now it's just brisket burgers, grind 'emView attachment 467111
weigh them out 12oz each and bag 'em
View attachment 467109
Didn't need the burger press due to wanting to make them larger for my homemade buns, they aren't going to be sissy burgers, a decent load for the freezer
View attachment 467110
So now I have a project for the morning! The 8.5 pound porkbutt that was destined to be part of the hipshot burgers will be turned into maple sausage pattys. Once everything is done and vac-sealed in the freezer I'll take stock of my freezer space and head to Sam's on Monday morning to fill any voids. Looks like a 14oz brisket cheeseburger done over coals on the Weber for dinner, it will not be overcooked! More to come, and thanks for lookin'! RAY
I mixed my brisket with an equal amount of chuck sometimes a little pork. This way you can use some of that fat. The hamburger holds somewhat loosely together and holds onto the fat while cooking so you have the best tasting juicy burgers ever.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky