Brisket bark

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mitchparker6

Original poster
Oct 11, 2021
Have struggled with getting that dark brown/ black meteor bark? I made my own reverse offset from daves calculator. Today I have been using hickory and cherry wood. Used black pepper, kosher salt and lawrys. Used water as a binder. Started out at 225 and after first 3-4 hrs I slowly started to bump it up to 250 range. Chan you guys give me any pointers or tips? Thanks! Will post pictures when done.

Reactions: JLeonard
Have struggled with getting that dark brown/ black meteor bark? I made my own reverse offset from daves calculator. Today I have been using hickory and cherry wood. Used black pepper, kosher salt and lawrys. Used water as a binder. Started out at 225 and after first 3-4 hrs I slowly started to bump it up to 250 range. Chan you guys give me any pointers or tips? Thanks! Will post pictures when done.
This is what I'm looking for.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230212_142622_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230212_142622_Chrome.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 38
How heavy is the rub your putting on? Also are you wrapping the meat at the stall?

Chris

This is what I'm looking for.
You cant always judge a book by its cover. It will take a lot of trial and error with your smoker to get a bark like that without drying out a brisket. IMO to get a deep bark you go "low and slow". the longer the brisket is in the smoker (Unwrapped) the darker the bark is going to get. You will continue to get bark all the way through the cook even when wrapped. If you try to go hotter and try to get the bark you'll push through the time where the connective tissues break down and get a dry and chewy brisket.
Below is a brisket we smoked on my stick burner at the north carolina gathering. Smoker rolled between 225 and 250. Took about 12 hrs
My 2 cents

Attachments

• received_5467130350021335.jpeg
    received_5467130350021335.jpeg
    220.4 KB · Views: 32
  • FB_IMG_1663589564877.jpg
    FB_IMG_1663589564877.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I should have added that you can do this with just your rub. Some activated charcoal will darken it up also. The dark band is a commercial rub.
20221125_160504.jpg

Reactions: JLeonard
I fell into a method where I always finish or hold in the oven . I use a weber kettle or pellet grill and run them around 260 . I pull at an IT of around 180 and go into the oven to finish and hold until supper .
Off the smoker .
1676236600807.jpeg
After a 3 to 4 hour ride in the oven at 170 to 250 . Then a 45 minute rest on the counter . You can see how dark the crust got . Black pepper and course salt only . No sugars .
1676236664755.jpeg

No binder for me. While trimming, the meat begins to warm up and sweat. By the time I put the rub on, it binds. Sit for a bit to get close to room temp. Then, straight in to the pit. ~250° for 6-8 hours until I get the desired result you see here.

Brisket.JPG

Bark.JPG

Reactions: bauchjw
This was the end result! 6 adults and 3 kids and now only 2 slices of the point left. The bark turned out better than I thought. Ended up not wrapping. Definitely learned the lesson to not go based off temp, and not to pull until all the flat is probe tender!

Attachments

• 20230212_174806.jpg
    20230212_174806.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 27
Looks like you're figuring it out and hard to argue with those results! Probe tender is the key.
Great color and bark!

Keith

Someone else mentioned a rub with activated charcoal. Note tx smoker tx smoker posted a recipe for his. Another handy and tasty trick is to incorporate a light dusting of espresso powder. Hit the brisket with the blend you use now, when the salt creates that slurry on the surface dust lightly and get good coverage with the espresso powder. No coffee taste at the end but adds nice color and earthiness.

Reactions: 912smoker
This was the end result! 6 adults and 3 kids and now only 2 slices of the point left. The bark turned out better than I thought. Ended up not wrapping. Definitely learned the lesson to not go based off temp, and not to pull until all the flat is probe tender!
Hi there and welcome!

Looks like you are getting it sorted.
I don't wrap my briskets.
I use an electric smoker with perfect smoke production and mine don't get all dark black but come out amazing! The flavor is what matters most anyhow :)

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky