Brisket Attempt With Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

medic92

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 19, 2014
Mount Sterling, IL
I took a shot at a brisket today with the idea of using wood instead of charcoal.  I used a chimney of charcoal to get things started and then started adding cherry wood.  Temperature control was a bigger challenge than I anticipated and I had a couple of spikes to 300 degrees.  No harm, no foul but I had to foil the brisket and I never achieved the bark I was hoping for.  It tasted good but the rub was a little salty and I'll probably go with Jeff's rub on the next one. 

It was only my second brisket and I'm satisfied with the results but nowhere near happy with it. 

Looks like a great attempt!! I just used worchestshire sauce and SPOG all in equal amounts. Hopefully you can control the temps and get the bark on your next one!! Looks like it turned out juicy!!

Seems brisket is one of those things that takes some experimenting to get right.
Really the only bad part was the rub.  I should have known not to try a local store-bought rub but my sister-in-law's husband recommended it.  It's not all their fault, the rub is decent but it's heavy on the salt and I was heavy on putting it on the brisket.  Cook time was good and the brisket was very tender, just lacking bark and the parts with the bark were really salty.

I'm already planning the next one though!

I really enjoy Jeff's Rub on my briskets.  I always foil my briskets at 165 IT so I do not obtain a thick bark and that is OK with me.  My briskets turn out so tender and tasty. 

Medic Next time you make a mistake like,that send it over to me. I have a good disposal system.

For me Salt & Pepper is the best rub for brisket. From there you can add ingredients each time you smoke one if you want different flavors.

Looks great    good job.    I switched to just salt and pepper about 10 years ago  I like the flavor of the meat

Gaet

Looks TASTY! Next time don't foil and you will get better bark.

Happy smoken.

David
I normally don't foil it but I got called away for over an hour (this was my first attempt at a stick barbecue) so I foiled it to avoid coming home to a charred cinder when I got back.

Nice looking smoke ring on your slices Medic. 
icon14.gif
  Most store bought rubs are pretty heavy on the salt.  I generally stick with just salt and pepper on beef.

If you aren't satisfied with those, Medic, you are a hard man to please.

Disco
The way I judge is by setting a plate of it on the kitchen counter.  If we can't walk past it without grabbing a bite, it's good.  If I walk past it without pausing, it needs work. 
icon_wink.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky