Briquette Choices

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ShakingHorizons

Original poster
Dec 1, 2019
I am the new owner of a Masterbuilt 560 & 1050 (couldn't decide so I bought both, lol!) and this is my first attempt at charcoal smoking! I have had an electric smoker for almost 10 years and love it, but obviously I don't get the true BBQ flavor like I would on a pit.

What is the preferred briquette charcoal on the forum? Additionally, what is the preferred fire starter - tumbleweed? Fatwood?

Thinking of going with B&B, but would like the most pure form available. No chemicals or other garbage.

Thanks in advance!!

I am a huge fan of Royal Oak Lump Charcoal.

As for lighting the charcoal, the easiest way for me is to put some newspaper in the ash tray below the coal box and I light it.. Royal oak catches pretty quick. Once it is ashed over I toss on chunks of wood and away it goes. That being said, I may experiment with using just wood.

I am a huge fan of Royal Oak Lump Charcoal.

As for lighting the charcoal, the easiest way for me is to put some newspaper in the ash tray below the coal box and I light it.. Royal oak catches pretty quick. Once it is ashed over I toss on chunks of wood and away it goes. That being said, I may experiment with using just wood.

Based on the threads I found here (old threads, hence the post), RO was second on my list - B&B just being a touch cleaner burn.

Reactions: JC in GB
I don't have one of the Gravity Series yet, but I have seen a lot of guys post about having great success with the B&B Competition Char-Logs.

Reactions: ShakingHorizons
B&B lump is all I use anymore. Burns hot and clean and I have never seen one bit of lumber scrap in it. I’d imagine their briquettes are good too.

I don’t have your smoker, but RO briquettes would be my choice. I think the lump may get clogged up in the chute since some of the pieces are quite large.
Let us know what you decide on & how it works!
Al

Not sure why, but I am having a heck of a time finding charcoal in my area (North Denver) - no one seems to carry B&B or RO!

Not sure why, but I am having a heck of a time finding charcoal in my area (North Denver) - no one seems to carry B&B or RO!

Do you have any restaurant supply stores near by? I get my charcoal from Gordon Food Service. It is RO but labeled as store brand.

Ace Hardware for B&B. You can order it online for delivery to a local store with no delivery charge. Same price as buying in the store.

Unfortunately no Ace around me carry B&B and shipping shows unavailable to the store or direct to me.

Do you have any restaurant supply stores near by? I get my charcoal from Gordon Food Service. It is RO but labeled as store brand.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will take a look to see if there are any around!

Other Royal Oak store brands are Embers (Home Depot), Expert Grill (Walmart), and Ridge (Lowes).

Embers - This item is not available in any stores within 100 miles
Ridge is readily available at Lowe's though!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky