Brinkmann trailmaster vertical smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokerjoe32

Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
Lebanon, Missouri
Well my smoker finally arrived, now I have a few questions for the more experienced. I start my smoker for the cure, I had the lump charcoal going, and I added some wood. I thought I had them lit, but I kept getting bellows and bellows of smoke. It took a good 15 min to get the smoke to calm down. Should I in the future wait to see the logs in full flame before closing the lid? Second question, after adjusting the damper on the FB, how long should I watch the temp before readjusting? Last question, I know the damper on the top should be the last to adjusted but what does it do?

Well my smoker finally arrived, now I have a few questions for the more experienced. I start my smoker for the cure, I had the lump charcoal going, and I added some wood. I thought I had them lit, but I kept getting bellows and bellows of smoke. It took a good 15 min to get the smoke to calm down. Should I in the future wait to see the logs in full flame before closing the lid? Second question, after adjusting the damper on the FB, how long should I watch the temp before readjusting? Last question, I know the damper on the top should be the last to adjusted but what does it do?
Joe , here is my article on fire :http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/stickburning101

Watch for the temp. you choose to cook at and use the intake to adjust the heat... the top vent stays open  , all the time...

Have fun and . . .

Oldschool, thank you that was some good reading. I learned last night that Cowboy Lump Charcoal does not last. One hour into my cure and my temp started dropping and could do nothing to bring it back up. I added some wood chunks and that was another learning process. I learned that once you add the chunks you must wait until the smoke dies down or you will smoke out the coals. Today, I purchased some briskets and mixed it with the lump coals and so far so good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky