Brining Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shorts

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 23, 2007
I'm doing some chicken leg quarters tomorrow. I want them to come out with that kind of hammy chicken flavor.
eek.gif
Do I just go with the Salt, Sugar, spices and water or do I use TQ, sugar, spices and water? Do I still use a cup salt for a gallon of water? Don't want it to come out too salty.

Thanks!

I do these all the time with TQ. I do the dry rub, no water, according directions on the box. 1 TBS per pound.

This was a comparison. One on right had TQ, left nothing. You can see the difference in color and texture and of course the taste is hammy on the right one.
Good luck.

Hey thanks Ron...didn't even think about doing it with a dry rub of TQ!!!

Just sprinkle it on in a ziploc and wait it out, 4 - 8 hours like the bag says. Every couple hours massage them and turn over.

I have used two tablespoons tender quick to cup salt and gallon water.I brine thighs 2 hours and whole 2-4 hours for light salt flavor.I also add two thin sliced lemons and two cups clover honey,6 sage leaves ,pressed garlic and bay leaves.Tender Quick will turn chicken meat pink as well.

Thanks Alx and Scubadoo! Gonna be getting them ready later!

Maybe treat them like turkey legs and brine them with 3/4 cup salt to a gallon of water. Add a cup or better of teriaki sause, some garlic powder, brown surgar, hot sause or powdered pepper of you choice or not. Long time in the smoker as well to really add some flavor.

I can't find any good turkey legs as of late
icon_evil.gif

My avatar is a turkey leg but it got eaten before the shutter snapped!

Was working in my pit in the basement...where I'm at right now...sons band is practicing up stairs
eek.gif
The wifey alread boiled a mixture she put together with salt, sugar, rosemary, bay leaves, garlic, pepper corns...

She has it brining as we speak!
biggrin.gif

Thanks for all the ideas...still have 2 more 10lb bags in the freezer!

Yup Flash...you heard it here...hammy chicken!! LOL!!! That was the only way I could think to describe it!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky