Brining (as pertaining to meat/fish)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pops6927

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jul 23, 2008
Fort Worth, Tx.
According to Wikipedia:

Brining: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brining

Curing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curing_(food_preservation)

There are two forms of Brining - Wet Brining and Dry Brining.
Wet Brining is soaking meat/fish in a solution with salt and other flavors to enhance the properties of the meat/fish, for preservation.
Dry Brining is covering the meat/fish with salts, spices/herbs to draw out the moisture of the meat, for it to re-absorb back into the meat/fish for preservation.

There are, likewise, two forms of Curing - Wet Curing and Dry Curing; both with the intent of preservation with natural and/or man-made curing salts and sugars, for a much longer period than simple Brining.
An example of Wet Curing is soaking/injecting a piece of meat/fish, letting soak for days or weeks, then smoking or cooking.
An example of Dry Curing is rubbing the meat/fish with a precise formula of curing salts, salts and sugars, allowing it to be absorbed, aiding in absorbion by turning the meat/fish frequently and keeping it in a sealed bag or container, then smoking or cooking.

Yes Pops though like barque, were a lot of folks interchange the two and others separate Q'ing from grilling it seems that is the same trend in brining. Some refer to brining as a wet mixture and call a dry mix as rub or dry brining and that can confuse one at times especially if they say they cured it. Were cure is usually associated with preserving, plus enhancing a aspect of product. It is interesting and if you saw my post it was because I just figured that it would be interesting to see a sort of preference in uses and terminology.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky