Brining a turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tarpsflat

Original poster
Jul 15, 2009
ft laud fl
Is it O.K.to  brine turkey or any orther meat in an aluminum pot?  How many people will a ten lb. turkey breast  feed

Thanks.

Bill.

Not really. The brine will react with the aluminum. It is best to use a food safe bucket,  stainless steel pot, an oven bag or 2 ½ gallon baggie.

Here's some great information I found a while back on the virtualweberbullet.com site reference brining and containers.  If the aluminum pan is all you have there are some great recommendations on types of bags you could use and still use your pan.

A ten pound breast?  Does it have the breast and rib bone still attached?  That's a big breast, as far as how many it will feed, it depends on how much they eat but generally about a pound per person.  I'm guessing you will have sides too?  That's usually how I estimate my quantity.

yes there will be sides but they are all,well a iam FAT.
PDT_Armataz_01_04.gif

icon_cool.gif

I would use a very clean bucket for your brining. I'm not real sure that the pot will react to the brine but why take a chance. You can even use a big turkey size zip-loc baggies too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky