Brining a frozen 8% solution turkey?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wnctracker

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 24, 2016
Western North Carolina
I just mixed up fantastic smelling Jamaican jerk brine for my turkey. Going to spatchcock and smoke for thanksgiving. I got out the turkey and had a realization that it had already been injected with 8% solution. I feel like if I brine it I’ll make it much too salty, am I correct? What options do I have to get the flavors into the meat. (Cinnamon, sage, thyme, garlic, scotch bonnet, brown sugar, onion, cloves, allspice)

Reduce the amount of or even eliminate the salt you would use in a brine.This is what I do.

Or you could make a paste with butter or olive oil with all the spices you mentioned and get it under the skin and rub the whole outside.

I just mixed up fantastic smelling Jamaican jerk brine for my turkey. Going to spatchcock and smoke for thanksgiving. I got out the turkey and had a realization that it had already been injected with 8% solution. I feel like if I brine it I’ll make it much too salty, am I correct? What options do I have to get the flavors into the meat. (Cinnamon, sage, thyme, garlic, scotch bonnet, brown sugar, onion, cloves, allspice)

The turkey I smoked this past weekend was just a generic Kroger brand turkey with same 8% and I did a brine with 1 cup of salt and it turned out great.

Other than salt, brining doesn't really get much of the flavor into the meat. With turkey, brining times are too short and flavor molecules too large to be transported very far in that amount of time. I would inject instead.

Reactions: olaf
this is a long standing discussion. brining will not necessarily always add more salt / make more salty. Osmosis works on the principle of equilibrium. Bine with less salt if you want. I have used the slaughterhouse brine on all poultry - preprocess, with salt solution, pre-basted or what ever lingo they use all go in the brine overnight and turn out juicy and tasty. Never felt they were over salted. I guess if the brine was salty enough you could end up adding some sale to the bird. but that would be a hard brine solution.

my $0.02 on the topic.

Reactions: Boardtowndawg
I've brined pre injected turkeys in the past and they were very good and not too salty at all. That was a basic brine of 1 gallon of water, 1 cup Kosher salt, 1 cup brown sugar.

Brine or injection will both work great. Just don't overcook the bird! 160 deg in the breast meat and I'm done.

Reactions: sandyut
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky