Brined pork chops and GaryS beans

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GaryHibbert

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Pork Chops and GaryS Beans

Since Miss Linda was coming home from her daughter’s place in Calgary on Friday, I was responsible for supper.

I took a vac sealed package of beautiful, thick cut loin chops out of the freezer to thaw. Once thawed, I left them to soak in a salt and water brine overnight. Since I had used high salt brine, I rinsed the chops and left them to soak in ice water for about 5 hours. Then a nice coating of my pork rub, and back into the fridge.

While the chops were soaking, I started making a batch of GaryS beans (with added pineapple chunks)—a real favorite at our house. As usual, I forgot to cut the chunks in half BEFORE I added them to the bean mixture. So, once again, I stood there scooping a can of pineapple chunks out of a pot of beans, bacon, onion, and sauce, one at a time and slicing them in half. Maybe next time, just for a nice change, I’ll remember.

I fired up the MES 30 and set the PID for 240*. While it was heating up, I filled one row of the AMNPS with Orange pellets and got it smoking nicely.

Then it was time to put the food in the MES and the AMNPS in the Mailbox.

chops_edited.jpg

Some TBS
TBS.jpg

I let the chops go, with full smoke, for 1¾ hours. Miss Linda had asked me to make them a little more medium as opposed to a nice bright pink. OK, no problem. I pulled the chops at an IT of 140* and brought them in for a 15 minute rest.

Then it was supper time. Gary’s Beans, pork chops, Jasmin rice, and a fresh out of the oven loaf of Honey Whole Wheat bread, followed up with a big slice of Miss Linda’s chocolate cake.
It was soooooo good, I just gorged myself. The chops, although done a bit more than I prefer, were fantastic—and made Miss Linda happy. Very moist and extremely tender—brining chops makes such a difference.

plated.jpg

The cake was wonderful. Just a store bought cake mix, but with Miss Linda’s added touches (directions are just a guideline). Moist and so fluffy that it was hard to believe it started out life in a box.

cake.jpg

All in all, I was real pleased with how everything turned out.

Thanks for looking.

Gary

If not avert to using sodium nitrite, you can save money on salt lol and more importantly get a pretty good cure/hamminess on chops just overnight with a little bit of Prague #1 powder using Pop's brine

Reactions: GaryHibbert
Maybe I'm blind but I'm not seeing the jasmine rice, but still a superb looking meal. Chops look and sound fantastic but those beans are screaming my name. I'd be thrilled with a huge bowl of those along with a couple slices of the fresh baked bread. Nice job Gary!!

Robert

Reactions: GaryHibbert
Looks great Gary! What temp do you like your chops? I pull at 130-135 for a coast to 140.

I like to pull at about 135 and coast to 140ish. But Miss Linda likes hers a little higher, so that's how I cook them. I can live with her preference, and it makes life sooooo much more pleasant. LOL.
Gary

Reactions: 912smoker
If not avert to using sodium nitrite, you can save money on salt lol and more importantly get a pretty good cure/hamminess on chops just overnight with a little bit of Prague #1 powder using Pop's brine
Good idea. I've often thought about trying that, just never got around to it. Next time I'll give it a try.
Gary

Maybe I'm blind but I'm not seeing the jasmine rice, but still a superb looking meal. Chops look and sound fantastic but those beans are screaming my name. I'd be thrilled with a huge bowl of those along with a couple slices of the fresh baked bread. Nice job Gary!!

Robert
Ha! Right you are Robert. Miss Linda had rice, but I just wanted a slice of bread under my beans.
I follow Gary's recipe exactly and then add a can of drained pineapple chunks because we like the extra flavor they add. Just make sure to drain the juice off the chunks completely. I messed up and didn't get a complete drain and the sauce on the beans was way to runny.
Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky