Brined checked legs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jay porter

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 10, 2015
Middle Georgia
15 chicken legs going in the brine bucket to be smoked tomorrow afternoon. For poultry, I go for simplicity. 2 cups of water, a quarter cup of salt, a clove of garlic, 2 tablespoons of honey, and a couple grinds of coarse black pepper.
To be continued...

I am going to brine 24 chicken thighs with the slaughterhouse brine recipe for 6 hours or so and smoke them later on today. Hope yours turns out great!

Last edited:
I usually shoot for 24 hours with poultry for no other reason but habit. I do the same with pork tenderloin. I may have try a shorter brine time for comparison.

Well, I didn't do all 24, only 12.  Brined for only 2 hours and put rub on for about an hour.  Heat set at 250 and cooled until thermometer said 165.  Should have gone to 170 or so because the one that I ate was a bit red near the bone, but still tasted great.

Sometimes if I want a little spice I'll add dry rub after they come out of the brine. Unfortunately I'm the only one in the house that likes spicy, so this batch will have to do without. The garlic and black pepper in the brine flavor the drumsticks pretty well on their own.

Since I forgot he obligatory after picture yesterday when I pulled them off the smoker, here's what lunch will look like this week.
Juicy, smokey, and just the right amount of seasoning from the garlic and black pepper.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky