Brine-washed asiago for long-term aging

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

LoydB

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 31, 2022
I made this asiago before Christmas with the intention of aging it at least a year. Gavin suggested that I let it age unsealed for a couple of months, with regular wipedowns with a brine solution. After two months, there's a nice rind, and the cheese is very solid and dense feeling. I vac sealed it, and it will be ready for next year's Christmas board.

1677166766140.png

Awesome! I had asked in the other thread if you made the farmhouse cheddar. Apparently so. I’d love to make some cheese. It’s on my retirement list.

Reactions: JLeonard
You are a better man than me. I dont know that I could wait that long to try it!!!!!

Jim

I always wash my cheese after smoking with a saturated salt and brandy solution before vacuum sealing.

Awe-Some!!
Man, I missed these replies. Thanks!

Awesome! I had asked in the other thread if you made the farmhouse cheddar. Apparently so. I’d love to make some cheese. It’s on my retirement list.
I strongly encourage it.

You are a better man than me. I dont know that I could wait that long to try it!!!!!
Here we are one year later!
I always wash my cheese after smoking with a saturated salt and brandy solution before vacuum sealing.
Do you let it dry a little first, or straight in while still wet?

Reactions: JLeonard
Cracked this baby open today, it is sharp and fantastic. You can see the outer layer where tyrosine crystals are starting to form, and the still-creamy center.

1702146175065.png

• Love
Reactions: indaswamp
I just let the cheese drip dry for a few seconds then seal in a bag. Even if there is visible brandy in the bag after sealing, the cheese absorbs the moisture and you won't see it after a couple of days.
A couple of years ago I ran out of brandy and sealed a few chunks without doing the brandy wash. My taste testers preferred the brandy washed cheese the next year.

Reactions: LoydB
Wow! That looks Devine!!!!!
Thanks!

I just let the cheese drip dry for a few seconds then seal in a bag. Even if there is visible brandy in the bag after sealing, the cheese absorbs the moisture and you won't see it after a couple of days.
A couple of years ago I ran out of brandy and sealed a few chunks without doing the brandy wash. My taste testers preferred the brandy washed cheese the next year.
I don't like the pasty texture it gets when there's a lot of liquid in the bag. If enough accumulated while sealed, I open it up, dry it off, and let it sit in the aging cave unsealed for a month or so before resealing it.

It would be interesting to see how it worked with a natural washed rind using brandy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky